CHAPTER 5

𝐇𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐟𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠
(𝐚𝐝𝐣) 𝐖𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐩 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐫𝐬, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞'𝐬 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞.

You waited, your breath still caught in your throat before you heard the sound of the door you and Jimin had just come through shut, the ominous echo in the silence of the night, sending shivers down your spine

You willed yourself to move. You begged for your body to cooperate, the sheer amount of adrenaline could be enough.

Enough to get you out.

You didn't want this. You didn't want to be an experiment. You wanted no part in your father's sick plan to bring down humanity.

How could you live with yourself after going through with it? And besides, there was no telling what he would do to you during those few weeks of blood extraction.

Anything could happen and you would never even be aware of it until too late.

Your hands grasped at the door with all the might they had, your legs trying their utmost hardest not to let you collapse.

You had the things you needed. You knew there was a way out.

You needed a way out.

Your hands worked quickly, gathering essentials and shoving them into a bag.

There was no time to change into anything better, so you were going to have to make do in your blouse, office trousers and cargo boots.

The bag felt heavy when secured on your shoulders, housing a stash of oatcakes, your journal and maps, a torch and batteries, a small bottle of water, photos, vodka, a lighter, a portable radio, medical supplies and sleeping drugs.

Needless to say, you were well prepared. But it was to be expected. You had been planning this for quite some time now, it was only a shame it was happening now and at such short notice.

Everything was a rush, almost to the point that you forgot your phone.

It played a key role in your escape. It ensured success.

There was a digital map on your phone. One that traced to one of the secure bunkers that had been set up by the scientists behind this all.

There was something there. Something that allowed you freedom. Free from being watched. Analysed.

Each station had access to the cameras around the city. Just like this laboratory did. Just like your comms room did.

There, would be the place you shut them down once and for all.

No more watching. No more following. No more scientists.

Just you and what was left of the city.

You slipped your phone into your pocket, snatching up the small USB port that lay idly on a small desk in your cupboard bedroom.