4- Dandy

For months I've tried to understand the rambling writing of my mom. None of it made much sense to me but Dr Judy said that I knew. That I apparently knew how to save everyone from this. I don't. I really don't and that itself makes me furious.

  My father's temper shortens by the day and I've already learned the hard way to not come between him and his work. That I must find something to occupy myself. I tend to find myself under one of the sunlamps wishing for home and my garden. I miss the sun, the mud, the flowers. I miss the earthy scent and fresh rain. The wind. Flowers.

I miss my mom.

  I miss her so much it makes my chest hurt. I was used to my dad ignoring me for the most part. However now sometimes he needs my assistance with his work. Not as in he values my knowledge just my ability to provide a second set of hands. The first time he needed my help I offered him my thoughts much like how I watched my mother do...

  That was the first time he had ever hit me. He's done it several more times but nothing stung as much as the first. I've always been a quick study so I didn't need to be told to avoid him and do as he says.

He slams my bedroom door open pulling me from my book. "Dandy come with me!"

I pause to only put my shoes on but I catch up to him quickly. My father was never much of an athlete. He holds out a bat to me which I quizzically take from him. "I'm going up," he lowly explains. "If you don't see me come back down, swing."

I nod my head hoping to make him proud for once, even if it's with a task as simple as this. Once he disappears i practice swinging the bat while wondering what he could be doing. I was forbidden from going topside after we cleared the bodies out.

  A shiver rolls down my spine at the memory. Once the initial shock wore off on us both my father had us clearing out the dead bodies. The bodies of his work colleagues, guards... mom.

  The ding from the elevator pulls me back. I watch as an unfamiliar man steps into the room. Doing as my father told I swing the bat as hard as I possibly can. The rough looking man takes me by surprise by grabbing the bat and easily pulling it from me throwing me off balance and crashing to the ground.

  I scurry backwards on my hands while screaming as loud as I possibly can. "Dandy!" Father shouts coming out of the elevator.

  I snap my mouth close half expecting him to yell or grab me. "I didn't see you! You said to swing if I didn't see you, I did that!" I rush out hoping he understands. I stand up wanting to plead with him my case.

I was only doing as told.

He only lets out a heavy sigh, "Go get the blood kits."

  I glance towards the rough looking group, before my father could scold me I rush off. I grab the kits and vials but on my return the can hear my father speaking with them. "It's just me and Dandy here."

"What about the person you were speaking with? Vi?"

"Vi, say hello to our guests. Tell them... Welcome," father commands as I set up the stations to take blood.

"Hello, guests. Welcome," her robotic voice echoes. I don't necessarily mind Vi however I don't really like it. She makes me uncomfortable though I've been told by my father that I sound a lot like her when I speak. Emotionless.

"I'm all that's left. I'm sorry," he says before pulling two chairs out. "You can go to Dandy, she's got a soft touch," Jenner jokes to the man I almost hit.

  His brown hair is greasy, dirt covers most of his face and by the look in his eyes I know not to mess with him. "I'm not letting a kid touch me with a needle," he gruffs.