Prologue

The night was cool and the stars glowed down on a small shape in the clearing. Her eyes reflected in the silver light of the moon but sorrow could clearly be scene in her expression. Her tail twitched back-and-forth as her eyes quickly scanned her surroundings, it was almost as if she was looking for something or someone. Then a rustling in the bushes made the black she-cat turn around. Her neck fur began to rise and her blue eyes narrowed into slits. She growled lowly and with unsheathed claws, she leapt forward with a battle-ready cry. But she soon skidded to a halt when she caught sight of who the cat was. "Oh my StarClan! Raincloud, you mousebrain, I could've clawed your eyes out!" The black she-cat hissed with narrowed blue eyes. "Ok ok calm down, Duskflower. What's gotten your tail in a twist?" Raincloud mewed worriedly as he walked closer to his mate. Duskflower let out a heavy sigh and stared down at her paws. "I'm-I'm in huge trouble," she mewed franticly while needing her paws into the dirt nervously. Raincloud tilted his head to the side in confusion. "Duskflower, what in StarClan's name are you talking about?" He mewed, beginning to get frustrated at his mate's strange behavior. "What's wrong? What's wrong? What's wrong is I'm a medicine cat and I'm having kits! I'm having your kits," she yowled while lashing her tail back-and-forth. Raincloud's eyes went wide in shock. "W-Wait what? You're expecting my kits?" He meowed, still shocked about what Duskflower had just told him. "That's amazing!" But Duskflower seemed to think the exact opposite, she looked panicked and on the verge of tears. Why is she acting like this? Isn't she excited to be having my kits? He wondered to himself with a bit of confusion at Duskflower's strange behavior. "Hay, hay, hay, Duskflower, please, just calm down. Just take a deep breath and relax, come on, Duskflower! Talk to me!" He yowled to her in a panic. At first it seemed like the ShadowClan medicine cat didn't hear him, but soon her eyes grew focused again and she finally turned to look him in the eyes. "What am I going to do, Raincloud? How am I going to keep this a secret from my clanmates?" Duskflower started to pace. What in the name of StarClan was she going to do? How would she hide this from the rest of her Clan? Duskflower realized that she would just have to be careful around the queens who were expecting kits, because if anyone could tell, it would be other expecting queens. She sighed softly and rested her head on Raincloud's shoulder. "I'll be fine," she quietly mewed while looking up into his stormy-blue eyes. Raincloud purred and licked Duskflower in between the ears. "I know you will, Duskflower." He whispered into her fur. "But now we better head back to our own Clan's before somebody notices that we're gone," the blue-gray tom mewed with a flick of his tail in the direction of the trees. Duskflowler sighed sadly but reluctantly separated herself from him, and with one last loving glance to one another, the two cats ran back to their own territory.