Chapter 3: A Slow Recovery Process

Duskflower's eyes slowly fluttered open and she tried to stand to her paws, but they collapsed underneath her. The medicine cat sighed softly to herself as she looked down at her stubborn paws. What in the name of StarClan is wrong with me? Duskflower wondered as she once again attempted to stand. After a few more tries, she finally managed to stand, albeit on shaking paws. Duskflower stumbled over to check the herb storage, eating to to distract herself to keep her mind from falling into a pit of fear and self doubt.

"Hay, Swiftstorm! Duskflower's finally awake!"

"Really? That's a relief. She's been unconscious for 3 days and I was beginning to get worried."

"Can I go see her now, Swiftstorm? Can I? Can I?"

"Yes you may, Cinderpaw. But please be careful, we're still not sure if she's fully recovered yet."

"I will, I promise! Don't worry, Swiftstorm."

Duskflower could hear voices outside of her den and she stumbled over to the entrance. Her icy-blue eyes lit up at the sight of her apprentice. "Cinderpaw," her voice came out in a raspy meow. But her apprentice smiled brightly and touched noses with Duskflower. "Oh Duskflower! I'm glad you're ok," the dark gray apprentice mewed into her mentor's fur, and Duskflower gave a rasper purr in response.

"Hay, Duskflower! Good to see that you've finally woke up!" The two she-cats looked to see Darkflower, Copperfoot, and the Clan deputy, Smokeyfur, slowly patting over to them. "Thank StarClan you're ok," the small red-brown she-cat mewed quietly. Duskflower nodded and twitched an ear. "Moonstar was starting to wonder if we were going to have to make Cinderpaw a medicine cat, but we're glad that you're getting better." Darkflower meowed with a small smile on her face.

"So does this mean that I can train with Duskflower again?" Cinderpaw meowed with a hopeful gleam in her blue eyes. Swiftstorm sighed sadly and shook her head. "Not quit yet, Cinderpaw." She meowed quietly to the eager medicine cat apprentice.

"But why?"

Swiftstorm sighed and flicked her tail back-and-forth. "Because Duskflower needs a few days to recover," she mewed, turning to look over at said medicine cat, who kept tripping over her paws. "But she seems just fine to me!" The dark gray apprentice meowed, and it was obvious that the young she-cat didn't notice that her mentor was constantly tripping and stumbling over her own paws.

"I'll be fine, Swiftstorm." The medicine cat meows quietly from her place beside the entrance of the medicine den. Darkflower laughed and playfully cuffed Duskflower on the head. "Look, Duskflower, I know you like your job as a medicine cat, but we need a medicine cat who is fully rested and healthy." The black she-cat mewed, staring in Duskflower's icy-blue eyes with her bright blue ones.

"Ok ok fine!" The medicine cat relented. "I'll rest for a few days," Darkflower nodded in satisfaction and waved her tail at her friend. "Come on, Cinderpaw, I'll take you and Starlingpaw out for a hunting patrol." She mewed, Darkfeather was unable to train the sable she-cat due to a cold that she caught from Nightwing.

"Ok, See you later, Duskflower," the dark gray apprentice mewed, nodding to her mentor before she dashed out of camp to join Darkflower and Starlingpaw for a hunting patrol. Ferns crackled underneath the silent pawsteps of the two ShadowClan apprentices as they followed Darkflower out into the forest.

All right, she thought. This will be easy. I just have to pounce and swipe. It's not hard. Cinderpaw hesitated only a moment before making the jump.

The gray-furred apprentice leapt forward, sailing through the thick Greenleaf air for mere moments before reaching the squirrel. She lashed out with unsheathed claws, causing the animal to let out a cry of pain, and Minkpaw quickly and swiftly bit down on its neck, and the squirrel fell limp, its pained cries were silenced as the life was taken away and with that knowledge in mind, the gray-furred apprentice bent down and carried her pray back to camp.

"Nice catch, Cinderpaw." Darkflower meowed from her place beside Starlingpaw. Cinderpaw could feel her ears start to grow hot and she lowered her head and stared down at her paws.