Chapter 2: Sorting Herbs & Training

Cinderpaw raced through the forest, her sharp eyes scanning the ground for herbs. It was almost Leafbare and Cinderpaw needed to stock up on herbs. Her mentor, Duskflower, was still sick and Cinderpaw wanted to help her in some way. The dark gray apprentice's green eyes brightened when something caught her eye. Racing over to its source, the medicine cat apprentice meowed in delight when she found some marigold leaves and juniper berry's. "Ah-ha!" The young apprentice cried, bending down and picking a mouthful of berries and leaves.

After gathering some cobwebs and blackberry leaves, the medicine cat apprentice began to make her way back to camp with herbs in her jaws. As the young she-cat patted back into camp, she pushed through the gorse tunnel and slowly made her way to the medicine den. Just before entering the den however, Cinderpaw halted in her tracks, Swiftstorm's words echoing in her head. "If Duskflower really is indeed sick, then we don't want anyone going near her, especially you, Cinderpaw. Do you understand that we're just trying to keep you safe?" Cinderpaw sighed softly and flattened her ears.

"But why?" The young she-cat mewed, not understanding why she still couldn't see her mentor. But Duskflower should be getting better though... right? Cinderpaw sighed again and stared down at her dark gray paws.

"Cinderpaw?"

Cinderpaw looked up to see her temporary mentor, Mossflower, making her way toward her. Mossflower was a very beautiful she-cat with the prettiest blue-gray fur that Cinderpaw had ever seen in her life. Shaking her head to clear it, the dark gray apprentice zoned back into her conversation with Mossflower.

"Yes, Mossflower?" She mewed, tilting her dark gray head to the side curiously. "What do you need me to do?" Mossflower gave an amused purr and twitched an ear. "Ah, I see that you've been out gathering herbs," the blue-gray she-meowed, smiling warmly at Cinderpaw. "Yes, yes I have, Mossflower." She mewed with a proud gleam in her eyes.

Cinderpaw suddenly felt nervous and she began to need her paws into the dirt. "Um... hay, Mossflower?" She began hesitantly, "do you think I could put these herbs in the medicine den if I'm careful?" The dark gray apprentice continued to stare down at her paws as she awaited Mossflower's answer.

The blue-gray warrior sighed softly and twitched her tail back-and-forth. "Yes, yes you may, Cinderpaw." She mewed, "but be careful." Cinderpaw nodded and quickly but quietly patted into the medicine den with the herbs in her jaws. As the young apprentice began to sort the herbs, she quietly whispered what some of them were used for.

"Comfrey is good for broken bones, Yarrow is used to make cats vomit if they have stomach troubles, and Honey is good for sore throats." Cinderpaw smiled to herself and with one last look around the herb storage, she nodded and quietly patted out of the den.

"Now come along, Cinderpaw." Mossflower meowed, "we're going on a hunting patrol with Darkfeather and Starlingpaw." Mossflower meowed over her shoulder as she patted out of camp.

"Ok Mossflower," the dark gray apprentice mewed, before she dashed out of camp to join Mossflower, Darkfeather, and Starlingpaw for a hunting patrol. Ferns crackled underneath the silent pawsteps of the two ShadowClan apprentices as they followed Mossflower and Darkfeather out into the forest.

All right, she thought. This will be easy. I just have to pounce and swipe. It's not hard. Cinderpaw hesitated only a moment before making the jump.

The gray-furred apprentice leapt forward, sailing through the thick Greenleaf air for mere moments before reaching the squirrel. She lashed out with unsheathed claws, causing the animal to let out a cry of pain, and Cinderpaw quickly and swiftly bit down on its neck, and the squirrel fell limp, its pained cries were silenced as the life was taken away and with that knowledge in mind, the gray-furred apprentice bent down and carried her pray back to camp.

"Nice catch, Cinderpaw." Darkfeather meowed from her place beside Starlingpaw. Cinderpaw could feel her ears start to grow hot and she lowered her head and stared down at her paws. "Thanks, Darkfeather," she meowed, smiling shyly up at Starlingpaw's mentor.