Chapter Two

Thank you MisswithSilohat for being the first to vote🧡.

Edward lurched forward as the carriage had struck a stone while moving. Cursing, he righted himself. He let his mind roll back to the past events. His father is dead. He is now the new duke of Heartland. His stay at Eton hasn't exactly been memorable. Now, he's coming back home.

"Home". The word tasted like bile in his throat. When his mother died, his father lost it. He had pushed Edward aside, would not even look at him, never showed him a father's love, and had left the job for the nannies and governesses.

Edward had always tried to win his father's affection for years, but all he got was cold shoulders. Mrs. Anne Brown had said that people grief in different ways, and that was his father's way of expressing his, albeit the wrong way.

What he needed was time, which was just all horseshit to Edward. By the time he was ready for Eton, he decided that was done winning his father's affection.

Now, he lay dead. Dead and cold. The same way he'd always remember. Having completed his studies, he was coming home for his father's burial and also to take up the affairs of dukedom.

The carriage was now slowing. Sighing, he pulled himself out of his sad thoughts and looked out the window. They were almost approaching Heartland. He could see it. The gates of the large estate were swung open. Rolling, the carriage came to a stop and the driver stepped down to help him with the door.

"Your Grace" The middle-aged man bowed. "Thank you, Thompson, you may retire". Edward stepped out. Taking huge deep breaths, he strode to the main entrance, where his father's butler awaited his arrival.

"Lord Green, welcome home" The butler greeted. "Hello, Mr. Jones". Jones nodded and opened the door. Waiting inside were all the workers of Heartland estate - the housemaids, valet, stable hands, grooms men, and his favourite nanny, who is now the housekeeper.

"Welcome, Your Grace" They chorused, bowing and curtsying. "Edward" Mrs Anne called. "I'm so glad you're home, my dear" He found himself engulfed in her embrace. "It's wonderful to see you, Mrs. Anne" He leaned forward to plant a kiss on both of her cheeks.

"Oh Edward!" She ruffled his hair, smiling up at him. "I'm sorry, you know, about your father" She regarded him sadly. " There now, Mrs. Anne, I'm very much okay" He tried to assure the chubby woman.

Turning, he addressed the household workers, thanking them for keeping the estate running while promising to meet their needs should they arise. They all echoed their appreciations and left for their various posts. "Is there anything you'll need, honey?" Mrs. Anne was clearly playing the mother hen. "I could have dinner sent up to your room".

"That'll be nice, Mrs. Anne, thank you" He gave her a smile. "You should rest, Edward" She said again. " No need to fuss over me, Mrs. Anne" He resisted the urge to sigh. Mrs. Anne had always meant well. "I'll just head over to my father's study now" He told her. Smiling, she left and Edward went up to his father's study.

Everything was in place and so meticulously arranged. Eyeing the big mahogany desk, he sat down in the chair and let his thoughts wander. His father's missive and apology. He was sorry? Edward scoffed. Sorry, after twenty- four good years.

Well, the joke was clearly on him. Moving out of the chair, he went to the wine cabinet. Uncorking the brandy, he poured out a generous amount into a clean glass and took a long sip. Swirling the liquid, he knew it was going to be a long night.

Alright, guys, there goes chapter two. Do tell me your thoughts. I await them☺️🤲. Don't forget to vote and comment 😘. Poor Edward. But don't worry, it all gets better and better as the story goes on.