Chapter Three

Emily was returning home. It was written all over the letter she had sent to Jane. She had completed her schooling and made her first appearance at a ball as a debutante. Jane and her family couldn't attend due to financial means, but Mrs. Agatha was really helpful in securing her a position in London.

Jane had been wondering if Emily had always been aware of her true paternity, or had she merely been pretending. She tried pushing the thought away from her mind, that proved difficult.

Speaking of difficulty, she had been avoiding her parents all these while, choosing to remain locked up in her bedchamber, only opening to let the maids in. She opted to have meals brought up to her room and would also turn her mother - who wasn't in the actual sense biological - away.

Jane feared she might lose her mind if she continued living in isolation. Releasing her breath, she arose from the bed. That was going to change starting today by joining the family for breakfast. No more meals in her room.

A soft knock sounded on her door. " 'Tis only me, milady". Her maid, Sophia, called. She gave her affirmation and the maid slipped in . "Shall I prepare you for today, milady?" Sophia asked. Jane nodded.

"I'll be having breakfast today with the family". The maid raised her eyebrows but didn't say anything. Jane was glad for that, and had hoped she wouldn't question her change of mind. Sophia was halfway in lacing her corset when Beth called.

"May I come in, Jane?" Like she had every other night. Jane decided that she'll rid herself of the headache that was forming and let her in. "In here, Mama" She called out. The maid was now making finishing touches to her ruffled gown. "Jane, my dear" Now, that was surprising.

She hadn't expected her father to be here, hadn't seen him since the day she found out the truth. "Good morning, Father". There was an awkward silence. Sophia was done now and Jane dismissed her. "Emily will be arriving this evening, so we might all have dinner with her" Her father announced.

"You need not come all the way to relay that, Papa, you could have sent Mr. Adams, the butler" Jane said. "I'm here because we'll all be visiting Lord Hadley tomorrow ". It was her father again. "Tomorrow?" Jane squeaked.

"Yes, my dear, he had written and Emily also needs to learn the truth" Her mother piped in this time. "I'm truly sorry, Jane " Her father looked every bit of that part. "I hope you join us for breakfast". With that, he left the room.

A flicker of emotion crossed Beth's face, she quickly tucked it away. Jane withdrew to her thoughts. " You know he truly means his apologies" Jane's thoughts were startled. "He had always wanted to tell you ".

"But he did not!" Jane snapped. Composing herself - "Forgive me, Mama, I never meant to ..."

"Don't fret, my dear" Her mother cut in. "It was never your fault ". Taking a curl of her hair in her palm, Beth stared at her. "We love you, we'll always do". Jane looked at the woman she'd known all these years. She realized she still loved them after all they'd done.

Kissing her mother's cheek, she said, "I will be down for breakfast, Mama". Yes, she'll still call her Mama because she will always be her mother. Her Mama smiled up at her with bright eyes filled with affection.

"I'll see you, honey" She patted her and made her way out. Jane viewed herself in the mirror. Her blond curls were in place, she still wore her teardrop necklace Emily had given on her birthday with her mother's brooch. Going downstairs for breakfast, she told herself, "It was now or never".

Another one guys ☺️😂. Phew! Can't wait to get to the end of this story. So, who loves Jane?🤭😂. I do😂. Someone called her a feminist😂, funny? I know right 😂😂.
Vote and comment, pretty please 🥺🥺.