Chapter Ten

"Thank you for accompanying me" Jane said to Emily as they strolled through the market. "No need to thank me" Emily beamed, "what are sisters for?" She nudged her shoulder. "Oh look!" Emily suddenly exclaimed, "Madame Roseanne's dress shop is finally open".

"Was it closed down?" Jane was flummoxed. "Yes, dearest sister" Emily rolled her eyes and let out a chuckle. "There was a rumour that her husband left her, no one knew why, and the poor woman had to close down her shop for a while, perhaps due to depression". "Why, you didn't know?" Emily was incredulous.

Jane gave her a subtle shake of her head. "I hope she's in a rosy mood now" Emily seemed genuinely worried. "Come let's go find out" She dragged her sister's arm. "We can't just go in there like that" Jane hissed, "what are we? Gossip mongers?".

"Who said we're going for gossip, eh?" Emily tucked her curls in her bonnet and gave her sister a mischievous look. Jane understood that look. "We have enough dresses to last us this season" She pointed out. "Yes, but we need one for the ball" Emily was insistent. "What b..."Emily had crossed the street.

The bell jingled when the duo stepped into the shop. Girlish giggles and whispers reached them. "Hello Jane or should I say Lady Jane" It was Lady Catherine, the town's snob and daughter of the wealthy Earl of Grey land. A couple of ladies her class giggled with fans covering their mouths.

"It's lovely to see you, Lady Catherine" Emily gave a mock dress. "What beautiful dress you have, pray tell, was it made my Madame Roseanne?". The snobbish lady scrunched her nose at Emily.

"I hope to see you girls at the ball" She gave them a sickly smile and swished her skirts with her companions following.

"There's a ball?" Jane turned to Emily who was already looking at the ruffles on the skirts in the dress rack. "Yes Jane, Lady Alice is throwing a ball". "You know her, don't you?" " Yes, I do" Jane replied. "And you're attending" Emily pointed her fan at her. Jane chuckled and placed her parasol against a wall .

"What can I help you with, ladies?" Madame Roseanne walked in. Emily smiled and place a kiss on the woman's cheeks. "Good afternoon, Madame Roseanne "Jane said. "We've come to make a dress for the ball".

Madame Roseanne nodded and pulled out a bale of fabrics. "This will look wonderful on you, my dear" She placed a blue satin fabric against Jane's skin. "Yes, it matches your eyes, Jane" Emily noted.

Both went on with the dress fittings after Emily had selected a pink lace for herself. Finishing their business, both hugged and went their separate ways.

Yo, ten chapters 😂☺️. This is it for now. I'm resuming for a new semester and so, won't be updating any longer till the close of it. Do stay good. Keep thriving and do what your heart loves best. And also don't forget to keep your thoughts coming about my book. I really appreciate your support😚

Tap that star for me and share my story. Till then, my lovelies❤️. Big hugs 🤗🤗