groceries // kath x colin // captivated

hahaha boyfriends, you know? characters from villageisaglow

Katherine could barely see clearly enough to turn her key into the door's lock. Her vision had turned blurry, blocked by a head pounding mixture of fatigue and tears. Once successfully inside her home, she slumped all of her bags down by the door and let her weight crumple against the wall with them. A searing pain rested behind her eyes, finding a dull throb there, an incessant reminder that her forgetfulness when packing lunch was rapidly becoming her downfall.

Thankfully, it was Colin's turn to cook dinner. Katherine painfully lifted her eyes to the clock on the wall to see that it was nearly six. Colin had been home and planned to have dinner made for a few hours at this point. He'd been burning the candle at both ends studying for his upcoming MCAT exam. However, even with the breakneck pace of their schedules, they both always managed to stick to the chores they assigned themselves, alternating every week.

Katherine had been waiting all day to sit with her love at the kitchen table. She had been waiting to praise his hard work and dedication to his studies, but after today she figured that she needed to shelve the praise for one more dinner. After leaving school, she learned that the dance she'd set and choreographed hadn't been selected to be performed in the Spring Showcase. Usually, she'd take rejection like a champion, like she barely felt it, but something about this one stung a little extra. She had to watch the piece that her and her cast poured their heart and soul into get shut down while pieces that were terribly unrehearsed and run by choreographers working a fraction as hard as she had been, get selected and succeed. It was dizzying, to say the least.

Katherine ventured around the house, waltzing into the kitchen, ready to do nothing else than smell good food and wrap Colin in a massive hug. God, she missed him these days. However, when entering the kitchen, she quickly realized that Colin was nowhere to be found, and there was no evidence of dinner preparation anywhere. He had promised.

"Colin? Babe?" Katherine called, peeking her head around the corner and seeing Colin curled up in the makeshift office they had constructed for him. The room was basically a glorified closet, but it served the purpose it had to. His head was down low and he was rolling the tip of his ballpoint pen between his teeth, eyes rapidly reading, highlighting, and noting the information from his textbook. Katherine watched him work, balancing on the tightrope between being completely in his element, and completely manic. It took her clearing her throat for Colin to even notice she was in the doorway.

"Do you mind cooking dinner tonight?" He asked, barely looking up from his work. He only removed one side of his noise cancelling headphones from his ears.

The low grumble in Katherine's stomach immediately stopped at this request. He had promised. She was in no state to argue, knowing that with the day she'd had and the fact that her blood sugar was on the floor, she'd just dissolve into tears at any point of confrontation.

"Yeah, sure."

Colin gave a small nod, slipping his headphones on and getting back to work. Katherine couldn't bring herself to ask for a kiss.

She sulked back to the kitchen, opening the fridge and pantry, quickly realizing that they didn't have a lot of substantial food in the home. Colin hadn't gone grocery shopping either. He had promised. Katherine pulled together the ingredients to pull together a slightly balanced meal, and sat them on the counter. Even the sheer act of reaching down and standing back up made her head spin. God, she needed something to eat. The sandwiches she had whipped up with the last few slices of bread left much to be desired. As she started to the office, her eye caught the bushel of bananas on the counter. She picked the only one that wasn't overripe and slid it onto a plate.