chapter 4

The doctor handed over a box of prescription painkillers to Chloe after confirming she had broken one rib and bruised several others. She was to avoid contact sports for 6 weeks, and to do regular breathing exercises to prevent any damage being done to her lungs. The doctor then turned to Beca and said, "As for your night terrors, I would strongly advise against sharing a bed with anyone until you have gone at least one month without experiencing one. Are you sure you don't want us to refer you to any therapy services?" Beca nodded her head, anxious to get out of the hospital. To her annoyance the doctor continued, "I took the liberty of pulling up your records, and with your previous medical history these night terrors concern me. I really would advise you think twice about therapy."

Chloe shot Beca a look, suddenly feeling very concerned. Everything had revolved around her and her problems recently, and she felt selfish for not realising that Beca may have her own crap to deal with. Beca glared at the doctor and said sharply, "I'm fine. Thank you. Now we really have to go, we have a Philosophy class in 20 minutes we can't miss." They said goodbye to the doctor and walked down a flight of stairs that led to the exit. In her head Beca silently prayed that her girlfriend didn't pay attention to anything the doctor said about her previous records, or if she did she wouldn't bring it up.

As they walked out the door Beca quickly started up a conversation to divert any attention from her. "Are you going to be okay in rehearsals? I know that he just said no contact sports, but if someone knocks into you..." Chloe insisted she would be fine and felt bad that Beca worried so much, although at the same time she found it quite cute. The conversation managed to stay about Chloe's ribs the whole journey back to the older girl's apartment: Aubrey was out that afternoon on a date with her boyfriend Brad, so they would have the place to themselves.

Chloe put her key in the door and pushed it open. "Aubrey?" she called out just in case her plans had changed. The silence confirmed that the coast was clear, and the two girls walked inside. Chloe threw the box of painkillers on the counter and sauntered into the kitchen. "Do you want a drink?" she called out. Beca walked up behind Chloe and put her arms gently around her waist. "I'm good," she whispered. Chloe leant back and found comfort in how well their bodies fit together. She tilted her head back to rest it on Beca's shoulder and her eyes drifted blissfully shut. Warm lips placed a tender kiss on her exposed neck, and she felt a rush of comfort fill her entire body.

"I could stay like this forever," Chloe whispered truthfully, and she felt Beca nod in agreement. A few moments passed and reluctantly she moved away, feeling the pain in her ribs urging her to sit down. First, she grabbed a glass from the cupboard and filled it with water then followed Beca over to the sofa. As she sat down, she hit the cushions just a bit too hard and the impact jolted her ribs. Chloe cried out and the sudden pain caused her whole body to jump, making her spill the water all over her top. "Shit..." she muttered under her breath, and in an instant Beca was by her side. "Do you need any help?" she asked, trying to give Chloe space. "I'm fine, all that prodding and poking at the hospital has just made the pain ten times worse," Chloe replied, "I'm going to change my shirt."

Beca smiled supportively as Chloe stood up and walked into her bedroom. Several times short cries of pain resonated from the room, but Beca remained outside, not wanting to smother Chloe. She tried to keep her mind off it and flicked on the TV, but soon after she did so a voice came from the bedroom, "Um... Beca? Can you come here please?" Beca was on her feet in a flash and headed straight into the room. In front of her stood Chloe standing awkwardly with her t-shirt slightly lifted up. "I can't..." she began, but she couldn't even finish the sentence without wanting to hit herself for being so incapable. Beca saw her struggling to ask for help and spoke up, "Do you want a hand?" Chloe nodded and gave a weak smile.

"Lift your arms up," Beca instructed softly, and Chloe complied. She winced in pain as she stretched up and Beca paused to check she was okay. "If it hurts, don't hide it," she said. Chloe nodded and so Beca continued, placing her fingertips at the base of the pink top. Slowly she began to lift the shirt upwards, revealing the bruise that pained her girlfriend so badly. She continued to lift it, and eventually the hem of the shirt was resting on Chloe's collarbone. Chloe stretched to make it easier for the shirt to slide over her arms, but felt an unbearable pain shoot across her ribs. She bit her cheek to hide her agony and felt tears form in her eyes, but after a glare from Beca she admitted, "It really hurts."

"Talk to me, try and take your mind off it," Beca offered as she slowly raised the shirt higher and higher, trying not to stare at the delicate, bright pink bra her girlfriend was wearing. "You're blushing," Chloe said, making conversation as a displacement activity. Beca amended her previous advice and said, "Okay, talk about anything but that." She came to regret saying that as well when Chloe asked, "What did the doctor mean, about your previous medical history?" Beca felt her stomach sink and all the blood rush from her cheeks to her head. She pulled the shirt along Chloe's forearms and said, "He erm... he was referring to some issues that I had in high school."

Unsatisfied with the answer Chloe persisted, "You can tell me. Please, I want to know more about you." The shirt fell off her wrists as she lowered her arms, and the two girls stood looking in each other's eyes. Finally, Beca caved and explained, "I spent a short time in hospital for some... self-esteem issues." Hoping that was enough, she walked over to Chloe's bed to pick up the clean shirt she already picked out. When she returned, Chloe looked at her so kindly that she felt she could open up for the very first time about this. "After my parents' divorce, I was pretty messed up. I had really low self-esteem and I was just advised to a hospital therapist to monitor some things." Beca felt like she had revealed more than enough, and said, "That's all I want to say," with a small smile.

Her eyes were trained on the floor and all her senses were flooded with embarrassment. Chloe put her hand on Beca's shoulder and said, "I think you're beautiful." Beca lifted her head and became lost in those blue eyes that she loved. Snapping out of the trance, she adjusted the new shirt so she could get it on Chloe and said, "Thanks, but you're the only one who thinks so." The shirt was a button-up, which made the job of dressing Chloe an awful lot easier. She stood behind her and held out either sleeve, then aided Chloe to guide her arms into them.

It still hurt as Beca helped her into the shirt, but not as much as it did before. After a few minutes they returned to the living room and Chloe sat down with a lot more caution than before. Beca sat next to her and felt an arm pull her closer. She gingerly rested herself into Chloe's side – luckily she was on the side without the bruise, and felt warm and safe with Chloe's arm wrapped around her. Beca placed her right arm around Chloe's stomach, who was impressed for the second time that day at how well they fit together. They sat in that moment of bliss watching a cooking show on TV, just enjoying being shaped around one another. Nothing could ruin the moment, Chloe thought, nothing at all. She pressed a kiss to her girlfriend's forehead, when all of a sudden a shrill voice behind them screeched, "Aca-scuse me?!"