chapter 11

Chloe looked at the girl next to her; face down in the pillow, brunette hair sprawled everywhere, and the covers pushed down slightly revealing her bare back. She couldn't help but gently run her fingers up and down Beca's back, and luckily she remained asleep. Last night was... amazing to say the least. She lay there in a trance, hypnotised by her girlfriend's back as it rose and fell as she breathed in and out. Her focus was drawn to her bedroom door as it slowly creaked open and a certain blonde poked her head in the room. "Hey, I'm back," Aubrey said, and then she noticed the extra body in her best friend's bed. Chloe urgently put one finger in front of her mouth and whispered "shh", anxious not to wake Beca. A mischievous grin spread across Aubrey's face as she gave Chloe thumbs up and then left the room. The door gently clicked shut and Beca groaned, starting to wake up.

"Hey beautiful," Chloe said as Beca's face emerged from the white pillow. Blearily she turned around in bed, clutching the sheets to her chest when she realised her state of undress. Her lips stretched into a smile as memories of the previous night came flooding back. "Hi," she said bashfully. "Do you want some breakfast?" Chloe asked as she placed a kiss on the tip of Beca's nose. Beca nodded, but remained in bed as Chloe clambered out and pulled on some tracksuit bottoms and a vest top. "Are you coming?" she asked looking at Beca. Beca nodded, but didn't move an inch. Chloe stared at her inquisitively waiting for her to move, and finally Beca explained, "I'll see you out there. I'll just grab something from your wardrobe in a sec." Realising that Beca wasn't going to change until she left the room, she walked out and into the kitchen to make some pancakes.

A few minutes later the brunette sauntered out the room shyly. "You know I didn't have to leave for you to get changed," Chloe said as she flipped a pancake, "I saw it all last night, and you have nothing to be ashamed of." Beca nodded nonchalantly, and Chloe decided to leave it and accept that she couldn't expect her girlfriend to change overnight into a body-confidant person. They sat and ate breakfast, and just as they were washing up Aubrey walked out of her room. "Hi," she said cheerily. "Oh Beca, I passed Jesse earlier on my morning run and I think he was looking for you. I told him you crashed here last night so I think he's on his way over soon."

As if on cue there was a knock at the door, and Beca wandered across the apartment to answer it. However she was taken aback when she saw in the hallway not only Jesse, but two police officers accompanying him. "Is Beca Mitchell here?" one of the officers asked, but Beca was too stunned to answer. With the sound of poison in his voice Jesse spoke up, "That's her." By now Chloe and Aubrey had wandered over to the door, and before they knew it the policeman was taking Beca by her arm and saying, "Rebeca Mitchell you are under arrest on suspicion of grievous bodily harm." He continued talking, but Beca had zoned out as everything turned into a blur. She started screaming for help and Chloe could do nothing but watch as her girlfriend was dragged down the hallway. Tears streamed down both their faces, and when Beca was out of sight Chloe came to her sense and grabbed Jesse by the collar.

She rammed him viscously against the wall and said, "What the fuck was that?!" Aubrey took a step closer, but wasn't in any hurry to hold Chloe back. "I did it for you!" Jesse shouted, and Chloe loosened her grip. She looked at him with confusion until he continued, "I saw what she was doing to you. I noticed the black eye, and your makeup didn't exactly cover your rib bruise at the carwash. And then you coincidently have to go into hospital after leaving a party with Beca? It didn't take a genius to figure out she was abusing you." Chloe was absolutely baffled by his logic and screamed, "You bastard! She'd never hurt me! And you called the police?! Beca would never hurt me! You're just angry that she wouldn't go out with you! You bastard!" she started to hit him and didn't have any intention of stopping until Aubrey pulled her away. "You don't have to cover for her! You'll thank me later!" Jesse shouted as the door was slammed in his face.

Chloe began angrily pacing the apartment as Aubrey said, "What's going on? I don't believe for one second Beca would hit you, but the police do so you better have a good explanation!" Chloe stopped in her tracks and took in a deep breath before explaining the real cause of her bruises. When she finished, Aubrey had to sit down for fear of passing out. How could she have not realised this? All along her best friend had been suffering through this pain and she hadn't noticed. She was kicking herself, but anxious to do something about it now that she knew she stood up and said, "Get your coat. We've got to go down to the station and explain everything." Chloe looked hesitant as she thought about her dad and the consequences she would have to face if things didn't go to plan, but Aubrey pointed out, "You have to choose between Beca and your dad, and I sure as hell know who I'd go with." Thinking of it like that Chloe picked up her coat and was out the door in the blink of an eye.

Meanwhile at the police station, Beca was sitting opposite a police sergeant being ruthlessly interviewed. "So you've already told us that you didn't hit her, but if you didn't, who did?" he asked. "I don't know," Beca replied defiantly, determined not to make anything worse for her girlfriend. After half an hour of the same question being asked and unanswered over and over again, another policeman entered the room and whispered something quietly in the sergeant's ear. He glanced over at Beca and then stood up and left the room. She sat there alone, and it wasn't long before the silence got to her. Tears built up in her eyes, but she was determined not to cry. A lump formed in her throat as she tried to fight the tears, but it was useless as she cradled her head in her hands and started to sob.

Ten minutes later, the sergeant returned to the room and said, "You're free to go." Beca looked up from her hands and stared at him in disbelief. "Your friend came and explained everything. We're on our way to pick her dad up now." Not needing to be told twice, Beca leapt up from her seat, signed some papers, and left. Outside the police station sitting on a bench was Chloe and Aubrey, and Beca broke into a run towards them. Chloe stood up and Beca's body slammed into her as she pulled her in for a hug. "I am so sorry Beca," Chloe repeatedly said as she felt the brunette sob into her shoulder. They stood there in each other's arms refusing to part for five minutes, and then Aubrey said, "Come on, I'll drive you both home."

Beca explained everything that happened on the journey home, and Chloe couldn't apologise enough. "Stop," Beca said, "It's not your fault – it was Jesse who told them it was me. Besides, your dad has been caught now so maybe this was a blessing in disguise." Chloe unbuckled her seatbelt and shifted over next to Beca, resting her head on her shoulder. "I know," she said, "I'm still sorry," and tears silently rolled down her cheeks. Beca didn't notice her crying until she lifted her hands to brush the tears away. They pulled up to Chloe's apartment, stepped out the car and Aubrey walked slightly ahead to give them some privacy. Knowing that there were no words to convince Chloe that she was okay, Beca settled for holding her hand comfortingly as they walked up to her front door.

They entered the apartment and Aubrey turned to Beca and said, "Feel free to stay here tonight. It's been a long day." Beca nodded gratefully before turning to face Chloe. She held her by the arms and said, "I'm glad that it happened. I'm glad because now I don't have to see you get hurt anymore. I don't have to be afraid every time I touch you because of any injuries you may have. I would go through it a hundred times again if it kept you safe." Chloe smiled weakly and pulled the smaller girl into a hug. "I'm never going to let you go," she whispered, referring to more than just the hug. "Me neither," Beca replied.