Chapter 2: Sasaki Ai

I stared at myself in the bathroom mirror, brushing my teeth, wondering how today is going to turn out. Last friday, I started work and now after the week ended, I'm here nervously trying to recall how to introduce myself again. Why, you might ask? Well, today's the first day of college.

I peeked into my room, looking at the loaf of bread sleeping peacefully. I'll have to drop her off at the preschool before leaving for my classes, but I doubt she'd be able to stay without me. I still remember what happened on friday... sweatdrop

Flashback: Last Friday (First day of work)

"NII NII!" Thick tears flowing down the big doe eyes, the whole church knew about Ai's wailing for Ryuu. He had left a few minutes earlier to look after his assigned class and as soon as Ai realised her brother was missing, it didn't take long for her to cry.

"Uh- Uh– Your brother will be here soon, Ai." Her teacher picked her up, cradling the little one in her arms in an attempt to soothe her.

"Ms. deLanoi, can you please keep your class quiet? It's disturbing the attendees." One of the senior teachers scolded the younger one, themselves being frustrated due to the complaints.

"I'm sorry, I'll get her to calm down." The girl apologized profusely, panicking and overwhelmed. As soon as the older teacher left, she looked around in the hallway searching for the one who could get the situation to settle down.

She was stuck in a situation as she herself couldn't leave her class full of children, nor could she leave the little one crying in a corner. Tears welled up in her eyes, the fear of losing her job flashing in her mind.

Thankfully one of the other teachers had informed Ryuu, for he came running a few minutes later. Quickly taking the crying child in his arms, he bowed his head repeatedly to the teacher.

Ai clung to him, hugging her brother and crying. It took quite some time for the two adults to calm the baby down.

"I'm really sorry, Ms. deLanoi! I thought she'd be fine since she looked comfortable!" He apologized, feeling extremely guilty for causing trouble. He offered his handkerchief to the addressed lady when he noticed her tear filled eyes.

Before he could say anything else, the senior teacher interrupted once again, calling for Ryuu as he was once again called by the Head.

Back to present: 7:00 AM, Monday

I locked the doors to our apartment, holding Ai in my arms and our bags slung onto my shoulder. I wasn't late today, thankfully because the weekend allowed me to rest. The little one seemed to be in a good mood today, sipping on her banana milk while looking over my shoulder at the moving traffic.

I made my way to the church, calmly walking as I still had a lot of time for class. I checked my pockets, making sure I had my IDs and wallet, along with Ai's medicines which I have to hand to her teacher. She had fallen sick after her breakdown but it thankfully is much better now.