2

I open my eyes feeling very tired and tied down with some heavy things connected to my body and pulling my skin. I feel like I just fell down a flight of 20 stairs. I look around me and see the setup of a hospital room just like they show in the movies. I continue to look around the room and see a huge window, is that a silhouette of a person I see, my eyes are not very clear, I try to observe and check who that is probably some nurse or doctor, all I can see is that it is a man with a beard and as I try to check the person he moves away.

Where am I anyway, why am I in a hospital bed with a lot of tubes connected to my body? The last thing I remember is I was in a car going to my hotel room with my best friend, the last thing I remember is the car was going towards a tree after being hit by a bus, I think I became unconscious before I hit the tree.

Doctors and nurses rush into the room and try to check up on me, asking me all the basic questions, they check up on me, and within a few minutes Ama, Amachi, Seth my brother, and my best friend dash into the room, as I continue to look around me, I notice flowers and fruits on the table next to me.

I open my mouth and try to talk to them, but words don't come out of my mouth. My family try talking to me, they tell what had happened to me.

_______

I get a call from Rooh, after what about 3 years, it's been so long, I'm shocked she even remembers me. I lift the call quickly before it has a chance to cut.

"Hello, is this Sunny?"

"Hi, I am Sunny, isn't this Ruth's number, may I know who this is?"

"Hi Sunny, I'm Nina, Nina Matthews, I'm Ruth's best friend."

"Hi Nina, I remember Ruth talking about you to me once, may I know where Ruth is and how is she?"

"I had called you to talk about her. Could I know where you are right now? Are you still in Chittoor or did you move back home to Nellore or move somewhere else?"

"I'm actually in Chittoor right now, I work here now, why are you asking all this, what happened?"

"I'm glad you're in Chittoor, I and Ruth are at Apollo Medical College, could you come to the hospital today?"

"I work there, I live about fifteen minutes away from the hospital, could you please tell me what is happening?"

"Ruth and I just went through a very bad road accident, and we have brought her here to this hospital, she had told me that if she would ever go through something serious to call you up."

"Nina, I'm just leaving home, I'll be there in a few minutes."

"Bro, we need to leave right now, please let's take the bike, we need to rush to the hospital, I don't have time, what if something happens to her, I've tried to live without her, but I don't think I could survive without her in this world. Please let's go to the hospital

I feel a sudden jerk happening to my body.

"Sunny why are you crying, what happened, what are you blabbering, please tell me something, we'll go wherever you want but tell me what is happening."

"Let's go first, I'll tell you everything on the way, could you drive please, I won't be able to!"

"Ok let's go, tell me now, what happened?"

"Do you remember Rooh, my Rooh, my Ruth, she is at the hospital now

"Oh, that's good news, you finally get to meet her, you never mustered up the courage to meet her, you're too anxious and nervous to meet her, but at least she has finally taken the step and come to meet you."

"Yeah, she's come to the hospital but on a stretcher, and that too after going through an accident, she was taken to our hospital in an emergency, I feel scared, I feel like something bad is about to happen, could you please drive a little faster."

"See we're here, you go ahead, and I'll join you."

I rush towards the reception and ask the receptionist about Ruth, Ruth Ann Jacob, my first love, the only girl I ever truly gave my heart to, and I could never take it back from her even if she wanted me to. She is now lying in an ICU bed, fighting for her life. So, this is how I finally meet her, me a doctor and her a patient in my hospital... she's fighting for her life, HER LIFE, MY LIFE... So finally, her what-if questions has come to life but in the worst way possible.