chapter 1- Pilot

As the alarm pierced the silence of my room, a groan escaped my lips while I forced myself out of bed. Peering out the window, the clarity of the day struck me. "I guess this is it," I muttered to myself, a knot of anxiety tightening in my stomach. After a routine trip to the bathroom to get ready, I returned to my room. Choosing comfort over style, I slipped into sweatpants and a tank top, grabbing my suitcase before making my way downstairs, each step feeling heavier than the last.

"I was just about to wake you," my mom said, her voice a comforting presence in the whirlwind of my emotions.

"No need. The alarm did its job. Plus, sleep didn't really come easy last night," I admitted with a shrug, trying to mask my nerves.

"Nervous?" she probed gently, her eyes full of understanding.

"Yeah, kinda," I conceded, feeling the weight of the day ahead.

"Don't worry. A year will pass like a breeze," she assured me, her optimism attempting to pierce through my growing unease.

"But why is it compulsory?" I questioned, not for the first time.

"It just is. Now, go eat your breakfast before it gets cold. I'll drop this in the car," she said, her tone leaving no room for further discussion.

With a nod, I entered the kitchen where my dad and siblings were gathered, the familiar scene offering a brief respite from my churning thoughts.

"Here you go," Atlas, my youngest sister, said, handing me my breakfast with a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes today.

"So, today's the day?" Lyra, another sister, chimed in, her voice tinged with disbelief.

"I can't believe you're leaving," Atlas pouted, her usual brightness dimmed.

"Stop being a baby; it's just for a year," Lyra rolled her eyes, though I caught the flicker of concern in her gaze.

"I promise I'll get you something when I'm back," I said, trying to lighten the mood.

"Pinky promise?" Atlas asked, her innocence in this moment a stark contrast to the complexity of my feelings.

"Yes, I pinky promise," I affirmed, offering a small smile.

The conversation shifted as my dad muttered about the government's lies, sparking a debate that danced around the edges of the unknown and the unbelievable. Amidst talk of chemical outbursts, mysterious spaceships, and rumored powers, I found myself caught between skepticism and a sliver of wonder.

"What will you even learn at this camp?" Atlas's question pulled me back from the precipice of my thoughts.

"How to defend myself, sort of like military training," I explained, the reality setting in.

The familial banter continued, but a part of me was already miles away, envisioning the challenges that lay ahead. My dad's gift of a bracelet was a tangible reminder of home, a small anchor amidst the uncertainty. The unexpected pocket knife from Blaze, offered under the guise of protection, felt heavier than its physical weight, a symbol of the unseen battles I might face.
With a final round of hugs and a heart heavy with mixed emotions, I stepped outside, bracing myself for the journey to the camp. The road trip ahead was not just a physical distance to be traversed but a journey into the unknown, a test of my resolve, and a leap into a new chapter of my life.

"In the car...few hours later"

My hand rested against the cool glass of the car window as my mom navigated the roads leading to the camp. Despite my attempts to drift off, a knot of anxiety churned in my stomach, making rest an impossible feat. My mom cast occasional glances my way, her voice the only thing breaking the silence inside the car, save for the low hum of music filtering through the speakers. It wasn't that I didn't want to engage with her; my mind was just ensnared by thoughts of what awaited me at camp. The uncertainty of it all felt overwhelming-no amount of preparation seemed adequate.

Abruptly, our tranquility was shattered as the car jolted to a stop, my head snapping forward to collide with the dashboard. "Shit," I cursed, the pain a sudden, sharp intrusion on my worries.

"Did you see that?" my mom exclaimed, her voice laced with shock.

"See what?" I groaned, massaging the tender spot on my forehead.

"That thing, I didn't...you," she stuttered, her words tangled with confusion.

"What?" I pressed, seeking clarity through the throb of pain.

"Nothing, it must have been nothing," she shrugged off her earlier alarm, her eyes refocusing on the road as she resumed driving. Despite my curiosity, I didn't press the issue further. Maybe she was right; perhaps it was nothing.

Soon enough, the familiar outline of the camp came into view, marking the end of our journey. We parked, and the weight of the moment settled over us as we exited the car. "Be safe," my mom enveloped me in a tight hug, her voice thick with unspoken fears.

"I will, mom. And hey, we have military people there," I tried to offer a comforting smile, an attempt to lighten the heaviness that seemed to hang between us.

"Yeah, I guess," she nodded, pressing a kiss to my cheek, a gesture that felt like a talisman against the unknown.

"Ew, mom, we're outside," I chuckled, the familiar banter a brief respite from the nerves.

"I'm gonna miss you," she admitted, her embrace tightening.

"I know. I'll miss you too," I echoed, the sentiment echoing in the space between us.

Together, we approached the gate where a cursory search of me and my belongings was conducted before I was allowed to proceed. "Bye, mommy," I waved, stepping through the gates that marked the threshold of this new chapter.

"Bye, darling," she waved back, her figure receding into the distance as I made my way to the main office to collect my ID and room number.

"This is it, Rain. This is what you've been preparing for," I muttered to myself, a mantra against the unease. Glancing around, I noted others who seemed just as lost, just as wrapped up in their own whirlwind of emotions about the unknown journey that lay ahead in this camp.