Steven's POV: Oh Sausages

Little Steven

Summary: Some lighthearted scatterbrained memories from the mind of Steven Grant and his formative years. Lunchtime edition.

Previously: Steven's POV: Happy Simple Normal Life

~~~

The room was abuzz with the noise of conversations going on all around him. Steven didn't focus on any, or anyone really. Too upset to be paying attention. Even if his favorite pastime was eavesdropping and pretending to be part of a conversation. Today he just wasn't feeling it.

Staring down at his lunch tray brought back that queasy feeling. In front of him sat eight of the greasiest sausages he'd ever seen and a hamburger beside it. A handful of ketchup packets seemingly sprinkled around like they'd been tossed into the mix. He couldn't remember picking out any of this stuff, and if he had he'd clearly been on one too many cold medications as of late.

Another boy sat beside him. His words startled him out of his own head. "Sup?"

Steven glanced up at him, unsure why he'd been picked. He didn't have it in him to ask. "Think they'd let me change my dinner?"

"What's wrong with your sausages?"

"I don't really like eating meat."

"Since when? Every day I've seen you pick up as many sausages as they'd let you. I've started to think you're turning into one."

"I'm not!" He bit back. Realizing he couldn't remember the last time he'd sat in the lunch hall and did this. Maybe he did eat sausages? His shoulders slumped. "I saw a video about what they do to the pigs. I don't think I wanna eat meat anymore."

"Oh." His companion said. "Well here. Let's switch. I never have enough for those burgers."

The other tray was pushed his way. A fruit cup and some veggie sticks looked more tempting than his own tray. Steven didn't go for anything immediately. Hands under the table pushed his thumbs together a little harder.

"Why are you being so nice?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean like. You don't know me. But you're giving me your food."

"We see each other most lunches? I know you used to like sausages and you socked Tom for messing with me that one time. Good enough for me."

The boy took his tray and used the plastic knife to start splitting the sausages to put on the burger. Using the packets of ketchup to add on top. Steven had to look away. Instead, he focused on the other tray. Picking up one of the baby carrots to toss in his mouth. He was starving. He pried open the sandwich to check what was in that.

"Oh, don't eat that, it's ham. You can pick it off though. Make a carrot sandwich or something."

"A carrot sandwich." Steven snorted and smiled a little more.

Lunch went down way better than he could have ever imagined. He'd never had anyone try to befriend him before. They talked about anything and nothing. He didn't eat the sandwich but the fruit and vegetables should be enough to get him through the rest of the day.

Learned his friend had an annoying little sister and he wanted Steven to come to his house and help him with his chores. That involved eating as many raspberries as he wanted while they berry-picked, so he was definitely going to beg his parents to let him go. By the end of it, the lunch hall was looking much emptier and staff were starting to pack up. The bell rang and his friend got up to leave first.

"Good talk. I'll see you tomorrow, Jake. Don't miss me too much."

"Yeah? I mean uh- yeah. Sure thing, sausage boy. Laters gators." Steven said quickly, getting a laugh. Offering a quick wave before taking both their trays to the cleaning station.

He felt too awkward to have spent a whole lunch with the other kid to correct him now. Didn't even know his name. It wasn't like names were a big deal. People got his name mixed up all the time. Could have called him Bob and he'd have answered to it. He felt far lighter in his walk back to class. Excited for the rest of his day. Most of all, he couldn't wait to go home and tell his mom and dad everything.