Chapter 9

Leo
I listen intently to coach, as he stands in the middle of the circle. Explaining his expectations for the game tomorrow.
"Now, I understand Union high is lacking in skills. Their seniors left them barren, so we have no excuse but to take home a win, alright?" Everyone nods in understanding. He lifts his fist as we all follow suit.
"Bears on three!" I cry.
"One, two, three, bears!" Everyone calls after me. I shuffle over to retrieve my water bottle, and limp into the locker room after Chris. He holds the door open for me, his fist resting against the rotting wood.

"How's the ankle?" He ask, after I follow him in. I cock my head to the side, weighing the possibility of letting him be aware of my throbbing foot.
"It's fine. That tape did the trick" I say, inching my locker open and retrieving my sneakers to change into. He claps me on the back.
"Just let me know man, I know someone who could fill your spot" He smiles playfully as I chuckle
"Not happening." After changing out of my court shoes, I sling my bag over my shoulder. "Alright I'm heading out." I wave as some of the boys call out their goodbyes.

When I exit the gym, I see the stands free of Astrid. I guess she found another ride. I breathe out a sigh of relief and find myself practically skipping out of the gym in joy. As I enter the parking lot, I pull out my phone to find a playlist to play in my car, free of pest. Free of Astrid. I round my car to the drivers side, unlocking my car with a beep of the key. My smile never faltering, I step inside, and to my surprise, Astrid steps inside too. I shout in shock, practically jumping out of the car. She stares up at me, crossing her arms. The same mischievous look, glimmering in her eyes. She says nothing for a few moments, till her eyes trail down to her discarded backpack on the floor.
"Hm. So that's where you left it." She says, dangerously calm. I step into the car again, my sudden joy being cut short by this infuriating girl. We ride in silence for the most part, due to her earbuds, and for moments I deem her tolerable. That is, until she looks at her phone and gasps. Humming along to what sounds like Adele. I clench my jaw and grip the steering wheel.
"Shut up." I say. She continues on, pushing her earbud deeper into her earlobe. "I said shut the hell up!" She ignores me. I huff and pull her left earbud out by the wire. I look away from the road, and stare into her enraged eyes. "I said shut up, or I swear to god, I will throw you out of this car." She looks at me, stunned. Then after a few moments of silence, she burst into laughter. I grow intensely annoyed with each giggle. Her laughter dies down slowly.
"You are absolutely off your rocker, if you believe you can throw me out of this vehicle." She continues laughing till I stop a block away from her neighborhood. She stops laughing. I smile.
"Maybe, but I can let you out."
"Is this becoming a habit?"
"Depends. I have to get to work. Get out. Oh, and next time don't forget your shit." I say, my hand resting across the wheel. She rolls her eyes and snatches her backpack out aggressively. She acts like I stole it, for god's sake. I drive away fast, never looking back.

                      _____________
I bite my pen, leaning over the register. My notebook paper and calculator sprawled out in front of me.
And rent would be...
I scribble down a few more numbers, admiring my work. My list lengthening with all the shocks of reality.
Would I consider a roommate?
If I can take lidya's shift I can make enough for that month.
I type a few more numbers in my calculator. I look up to see the doors sliding open, and coach shuffling inside. His eye bags more prominent now, than earlier in the day. He's holding his phone up to his ear.
"And formula? Got it." He catches my eye and hangs up the phone, stuffing it in his pocket. I smile and raise my hand in a wave.
"Hey coach!"
"Hey Leo" he nods and gives me a small smile, looking around the store hurriedly. I raise my brow.
"Everything alright?" I say slowly.
"Yes of course!" He replies, suddenly chipper. He strides up to the counter and looks at my paper. I bend over, hiding it with my arms.
"Can I help with anything?" I say, diverting his attention from my paper.
"Oh no, no, I actually have to get back home, I have a meeting" He smiles and rushes out of the store. I stand there confused.
Ok...

                        ______________
"Leo. You're failing." Mrs. Roberts looks at me yet again through her glasses.
"I know this isn't like you, and you may have to take some time away from basketball. Our rules here are no failing classes, to be able to participate." I feel my world spinning against the empty rows of desk. I swallow.
"Please, I'm working on it. I just need.. like time." I say desperately. She nods in understanding, crossing her arms and looking at me. Really looking.
"I know," she takes a breath. "Which is why I signed you up for interventions after school."
"What?!" I exclaim. She looks at me calmly.
"Every Tuesday, just until we get those grades pulled up Leo."
"I cant do that." I say, anger rising in my chest. "I can't do that." I repeat.
"You can and you will. Leo listen, I know you've had it tough this past year considering what happened to-" She places her warm hand on my forearm, and I rip it away. I stride out of the room, my anger consuming my every step. My body. My soul. I storm out into the parking lot praying the fresh air would calm my mind on fire. I approach my car, to see Astrid leaned against the passenger window. Scrolling through her phone. This sight reverses the tranquility of the wind against my skin. I walk up to her, shooting venom in my words.

"What are you doing here."
She peers up from her phone and motions to the car.
"Ride?" She says, as if this is the most obvious piece of information on the planet. I rest my hand on my hip. Uneasy.
"I'm not in the mood for your bullshit right now. Go home with your dad after the game." I start to walk off.
"You prick, I'm not staying for the bloody game!" She exclaims. I turn around fuming. It takes all my being not to unleash everything. But I do.

"But you will Astrid! I'm not in the fucking mood to take 2 trips when I have a game today! And you know what? You are the most annoying motherfucker I have met. I hate your stupid accent, and your fucking entitlement, okay? The world doesn't revolve around you, but if you weren't so fucking focused on looking at yourself, you would see that that's the reality. We don't exist to make you happy Princess." I spit. I see her fist ball up in anger. She punched the window hard with her fist.

"You DON'T know me!" She screams. "Who the hell are you to make such accusations!? Last time I heard, you're coaches favorite little player with the most perfect life and I'm knackered with your bloody disrespect! I didn't ask to be taken home by a wanker such as your bloody self, so don't act all high and mighty. I didn't ask to live in this hellhole you arse! You always act out like this! What the hell is wrong with you!!?" She screams, her accent as prominent as ever. She punches the glass one more time, in the heat of her anger. Walking off with rage in her steps.

"I don't give a fuck!!" I scream behind her. I pull open my car door and hit my hands on the steering wheel. Running my hands through my hair. I look into the rear view mirror to see my face flushed with heat. And two angry eyes staring back.

                           Authors note:
      Hi hiiii I legit wrote these scenes in all my classes, the fight between Leo and Astrid the most fun so tysm to my pe teacher for giving us a free day cuz bruh I needed to give leoooo that loreeee I have no wifi again😓😓 so I can't put the link to Leo's character ai rn but it's in past chapters so go check that out also comment and stuff I wanna hear u guys thoughtsss🎀🎀🎀