Chapter 14

Astrid
I stand over the edge of my bed, overlooking the white picnic dress I placed neatly against the covers. The lace frames the tiny bow settled in the middle of the bust. I cross my arms, contemplating the level of discomfort I would have to endure for the night, and turn to my closet in search of a more modest choice. The doorbell rings, and my brow furrows. Dads out god knows where, who could be here right now? I hop down the steps, making my way toward the door. The hat on the kitchen counter, catches my eye. Luis must have left it, when I invited him in for some water after dropping me off. I pluck the green fabric up, placing it on the key hook to remind myself to return it next time I see him. He's a bubbly guy, fun to be around in contrast to Leo. Last night was an exception. Giving me a glimpse into the tolerable Leo. The fun Leo. The Leo that made my heart beat a little too fast. I shudder at the thought, causing me to drop the hat. I bend down to pick it up, and something so small catches my eye, you would think it wasn't even there in the first place. Beside toppling shoes, and stuffed behind an oversized jacket, I find a small pack of baby wipes. Picking it up curiously, I find it half empty. Ok, not totally uncommon? The doorbell rings again, as my phone starts to ring. I pick it up, and hold it against my ear, baby wipes still in hand.
"No way you tell me you're going on a date, and are getting ready without my help. Now let me in already! I'm sweating balls out here." Andreena's voice crackles through the phone, and I laugh as I unlock the door.
"How did you find my house?" I giggle, opening the door wide for her. She glances down to the baby wipes in my hand.
"You expecting or something?" She says, gliding past me and into the small space of the kitchen. My cheeks burn and I drop them, running up to her side.
"Answer my question first" I say, pointing a finger at her face.
"Leo," She admits, walking up to the fridge and pulling it open.
"H-how?"
"His insta is public," She shrugs her shoulders and grabs a tangerine. "I must admit, pulling Tom is pretty impressive, but it's no Leo Williams." She says, peelings the tangerine open in one slice with her xl acrylics.
"Oh come on, you know what a wanker he is." I roll my eyes, as she throws up her arms in defense.
"Just saying! Alright what are we working with tonight." She doesn't wait for me to guide her toward my room, kicking open doors until she finds the white picnic dress across my bed. She stands over it, examining the tiny lace against the cotton fabric. "It's boring." She says, making her way toward my closet. "This will so not do." She clicks her tongue and grabs her keys from where she threw them against the bed. She smiles devilishly. "Get ready. Im about to fairy god mother your ass."

I turn in the mirror, gawking at the almost gone fabric against my skin. Andreena placed me in a black dress. Sleek and thin. The fabric runs in a straight line across my chest, deep enough for my boobs to peek through. I run my hands along the soft satin, a tiny slit beginning at the bottom of my thigh and stopping at the middle as if to tease. It's short. There's lace streaming along the hem at the bottom, and the back has ties that cinches me in perfectly. It hugs my body in all the right places. Exposed yes. But I feel nothing short of beautiful with my hair falling in a natural blowout, and my makeup done perfectly at the hands of Andreena.
"Girl you look hot." She says, admiring her work while leaning into my bed. I twirl in the mirror.
"You don't think it's too much?" I question.
"No." She admits honestly. I nod and stare in the mirror confidently.
"You're right." I nod.
She squeals in excitement then runs her hands through my voluminous hair.
"He's gonna be knocked out by the sight of you." She giggles.
"He better, or I'm throwing this mascara out." I hold up the glossy tube and smile. Tonight will be fun. 
Tonight will be fun.

                          _____________
"So I thought I would surprise you."
Tom's car smells like dolce and gabanna light blue. A scent I memorized that clung to balino each time my hands grazed his skin. Tom sits with his chest open to me, his hand resting on the steering wheel. His car is parked in front of a burger shop, a little reminiscent of a Burger King. Judging by his BMW I was convinced Tom had money, I mean that's what Andreena had insisted. I've never cared for financial stability, and this seems like a wholesome date spot. Cute even.
"I work here, so I thought it would be easier to get a discount." He smiles and exits the car. I nod, and kick my purse with my knees.
Tonight will be fun.
This night will be fun.
I try my best to let loose, pulling my oversized leather jacket a little tighter around me, as the night grows chilly. He throws the door open, and I catch it with my arm, gliding inside along him. The walls are cracked and dated, green standing off the walls in an off putting fashion. He grabs my hand rather forcefully, but I smile when he starts to rub it with his thumb. "What do you want to eat?" He ask, gazing into my eyes with blue crystals.
"Umm im not sure, I'm quite knackered  today." I say with a smile as the worker sighs in front of us.
"An indecisive one, okay." He chuckles and orders for us, handing me a drink cup to fill. I fill it with a random soda, and find a booth to slide into. The least stickiest of them all. He slides in after me, pulling his hands in front of him on the table.
"I just wanted to say you look so hot right now." He says.
I chuckle and pull my hair behind my ear, but immediately pull it out when Andreena's voice rings in my head, to keep the volume.
"Thank you thank you, so what are your interest?" I say, trying to flow the conversation.
"Well other than you, basketball. That's my whole world pretty much. So yea." He takes a sip of his soda.
"Nice." I nod and bite my cheek.
"What about you??" He hastily says.
"Well, for one I play the viola, and I adore writing-" I hear a distant ping, and he gets up hastily.
"Sorry sorry let me just get that." He points toward the food and scurries out of the booth. I nod and bite my lip. Battling confusion and attraction. He comes back with a tray, and hands me the receipt in haste. "You got cash app or Zelle? I was kinda hoping we could split it." He smiles and I nod.
"Did you not ask me out?" I say cautiously. His smile fades and he shakes his head.
"Oh yea yea my bad. Anyway, to commemorate this," He pulls out a packet of peanut butter crackers, and my smile widens. He winks and throws them over to me, and I catch them midair.
Tonight will be fun.