2

As they crouched behind the building, the distant hum of the motorcycle grew louder, signaling its approach. Rian's instincts urged him to spring into action, to confront the threat head-on, but Nicole's words gave him pause.

He glanced at her, the dim light reflecting off the concern etched into her features. Her words were a sobering reminder of the dangers that lurked in the shadows, unseen and unforgiving.

With a silent nod, Rian followed Nicole as she led the way back to their apartment, their movements swift and purposeful. Each step echoed with the weight of their shared history, the countless battles fought and won, and the scars—both seen and unseen—that marked their journey.

As they reached the safety of their sanctuary, Rian couldn't shake the feeling of unease that lingered in the air. The arrival of the mysterious motorcyclist was a harbinger of darker days to come, a reminder that in their world, danger could strike from any direction at any time.

But for now, all they could do was wait and watch, their bond stronger than ever as they braced themselves for the storm that loomed on the horizon. In a world where trust was a rare commodity and betrayal lurked around every corner, Nicole and Rian knew that they could only rely on each other to survive.

As they walked into their apartment, the unfamiliar scent caught them both of guard. "We know you're here" Nicole cursed as she flicked the lights on.

The blonde haired woman in front of them waved "hello" she said cheerfully

"Auntie Eve?" Rian's voice held a note of uncertainty as he reached out to his supposed relative, but Nicole's grip on his arm tightened, pulling him back from the woman's reach.

The woman, her blonde hair cascading in waves around her shoulders, offered a cheerful greeting, but Nicole remained unmoved. Her aunt's sudden appearance was too convenient, too suspicious to be believed without question.

Nicole's voice was sharp as she addressed the woman, her tone laced with skepticism. "Prove you're our aunt," she demanded, her eyes narrowing as she awaited a response.

Auntie Eve's smile faltered for just a moment, a flicker of uncertainty crossing her features before she recovered. With a knowing glint in her eye, she reached into the depths of her coat pocket, producing a worn photograph that she held out for Nicole and Rian to see.

In the faded image, captured in a moment frozen in time, stood a younger version of Auntie Eve, her arms wrapped around two young children—Nicole and Rian. The sight sent a jolt of recognition through Nicole's veins, stirring memories long buried beneath layers of pain and betrayal.

As Nicole studied the photograph, her skepticism wavered, replaced by a flicker of emotion that she struggled to suppress. Could it be possible that their aunt had returned after all these years, offering a glimmer of hope in a world consumed by darkness?

Nicole let Rian go towards the woman, Evelina hugged Rian in a soft embrace "oh how I've missed you" She said.

As Evelina enveloped Rian in a warm embrace, Nicole couldn't help but feel a pang of annoyance at her brother's easy trust. She watched from the kitchen, her expression guarded as she pulled up a chair and straddled it backwards, her arms crossed tightly against her chest.

"You know," Nicole began, her tone sharp with frustration, "you said once we turned 17 you'd tell us about the other world."

Her words hung heavy in the air, a reminder of the promises Evelina had made years ago, promises that had remained unfulfilled as time stretched on and their questions went unanswered.

Evelina released Rian from her embrace, her gaze shifting to meet Nicole's with a mixture of regret and resignation. "I know, Nicole," she sighed, her voice tinged with sorrow. "And I'm sorry for keeping you in the dark for so long."