a rainy night for two.

"I can't get over the way you look in that dress." He whispered before pressing a kiss on your cheek. "Thank you dearest." You smiled as you lifted your eyes to see him in the reflection of the mirror of your vanity. David gently puts his hand on the back of your head and gently rakes his fingers through your hair until its very ends. "I'll leave you to your final touches, if we leave in 5, we'll make it in time for our reservation." He said, stepping away before turning and leaving the room to get his belongings needed for a night out.

You pull on your coat and take his off the hanger along with his striped scarf. "Thank you love." David said with a content smile, taking his coat and putting it on. You hold his scarf's ends in your hands, throwing it over his head and gently pulling him closer. He didn't even need a word as he instinctively slipped his hands around your waist, pulling your lips to his. Smiling as he pulled back. "Let's get going." He said, letting you go and grabbing the housekeys from the table. You both leave the apartment and walk across the sidewalk, heading to the restaurant downtown.

At first, you wanted to take the car there, seeing as the piercing winter wind hadn't laid to rest yet, but he insisted on walking there. "It's spring, isn't it? We'll be there in no time and a little cold air won't hurt you." He said.

With your arm resting in his as you walk down the steep declining roadside, following his directions, you suddenly don't recognize the stores around you anymore. "You sure we're headed the right way?" You ask as you slowly come to a halt. David's gaze seemed to look a little unsure too now. "Perhaps we should've gone right by those traffic lights earlier." He admitted before taking a quick look around, spotting an alleyway between two cafes leading to another road. "If we go past there, we'll be right back on track." He said, taking hold of your hand and taking you along to cross the road. As you both were walking down the alleyway, you noticed the sky getting darker overhead. Reaching the other street, you and David took a right leading back up the street.

After a while of walking, you felt a drip falling from the sky onto your face as David was looking at his watch. "We should've been there 5 minutes ago.." he said slightly defeated. "I'm sure they'll hold the table for a couple more, they always do." You replied, feeling another set of droplets fall. "Really?" He said, you wanted to reply but noticed that he had probably also felt the rain set in. Your steps quickened to a storefront with an overhead awning that just fitted the both of you, it was like the faiths allowed some comfort since not long after you took shelter, the rain came trickling down fast. 

"This is great, god.. why tonight?" David said unamused and slightly annoyed. "I mean.. I told you the car might've been a good ide-" You say carefully before he cut you off. "Oh don't start that." He said before seeing a man walking their way up the street with an umbrella. David quickly walked from under the awning and put his hand up to get the man's attention, standing in the pouring rain. "Sorry to bother sir, but do you know where Brasserie The Golden Lamb is? we seemed to have lost our way here." David said, he spoke so loud that even through the loud clattering of the rain on the street you could hear him. The man replied incoherently to you, David looked in the way the man pointed and nodded before returning to you, practically soaked. "Dearest, look at you-" You stifled a laugh as he took off his scarf and gently laid it over your head. "Shush, I know where to go now. Let's get going." David said, a bit out of breath from running back to you, before taking your hand. You nodded and followed his lead with hurried steps 

After a couple more turns and little breaks to hide from the downpour and the cold, the sunny glow of the busy restaurant reflected in the rain as you approached it. David made sure you walked in first before closing the door behind the both of you. The warmth from inside the restaurant felt like a smack to the face but it couldn't be more welcome to you. A waiter approached the both of you. "Welcome, what weather eh?" The waiter said with a chuckle. David ran his hand through his hair and smiled back. "Timing couldn't be better," He said sarcastically. "We had a reservation, under the name of Jones." The waiter nodded and looked at the pad of written reservations lying in front of him on the desk. "At 5:30?" "Yes, a table for two with the champagne orde-" "Yes, I see, but it's 6:05 already. We can't hold a table for more than 15 minutes after the allotted time." The waiter cut him off gently. "I'm sorry sir, but your table has been given to another." David's smile faded. "But.. we were walking here and held up by the rain, I mean there surely must be something.." He tried. "Sorry sir, we're fully booked tonight." The waiter shared a quick sympathetic look your way before returning to look at David. "I must ask you two to make way as other reservation guests are coming in." The waiter said, nodding to the door opening behind them. "Perhaps you should take the car next time, I'm sorry but there is nothing I can do for you tonight." You had to cover your mouth with David's scarf to suppress a laugh. David nodded at the waiter and thanked him softly. He guided you to the side to let other guests enter before stepping outside with you. 

"I really saw this night going differently.." David said disappointed, taking his cigarettes from his coat pocket along with a lighter. You kept your eyes on the other side of the street before he said something, you chuckled before letting out a suppressed laugh, covering your giggles once again with the scarf. David, having lit his cigarette and taken a drag, looked over at you. "What are you laughing at?" He said with a confused grin. "Oh, nothing.. just something about a certain car-related thing." You smiled, turning to him. David raised his brow and let out a chuckle. "Oh no miss, you don't get to say 'i told you so'." "Yes, I can!" You smiled and shoved him. "If we took the car, we'd have made it here quicker and we wouldn't be drenched." David shook his head and looked the other way at your comment, blowing out the smoke. You rolled your eyes and stepped out from underneath the overhead door edge into the rain, standing in front of where he was looking. "Come on.. let me guide the way now, I know how to make this better." You said, shielding your eyes from the rain with your hand and extending the other to him. David sighed and smiled softly. "Alright then." He said slightly apprehensive, taking your hand.

A couple of steps down the road, you took a right. David followed with his now soggy and burnt-out cigarette in hand. "There." You said and squeezed his hand, bright red and yellow lights scattered across the wet road. David noticed and looked up to see a food truck, hot dogs specifically, just on the other side of the road.  "Really?" He asked with a laugh. "Really." You said with a smile.

You sat on the steps to an apartment building, trying to wring the water out of your dress, as David approached you with two hotdogs in napkins in hand. He sat down beside you and handed you your share. "Here you go." He said with a sigh, looking down the street, he chuckled. "Again, this is quite the opposite of what I expected of tonight." You smiled before resting your head on his shoulder, though uncomfortable; you felt like he needed it. "And yet, I wouldn't want it any other way." You said softly, looking up at him. David looked at you and kissed your forehead. "As long as you're with me, I guess you must be right." He said, you sat up and took a bite of your meal. "And next time.." You said while still chewing before swallowing your bite. "We're taking the car." You said cheekily. David laughed and shoved you gently. "Yes darling, of course."