Chapter 5: Wand Troubles Pt 1

Next, they went to the robe store to get Ginny and Emily fitted with brand-new school robes. The rest of the Weasley children had hand-me-downs, but the girl's uniform was slightly different to the boys so Ginny got to have a new one. Madam Malkin measured Ginny first, and found her a fitting uniform, complete with a school tie and robes. Next was Emily, who was coincidentally the exact same size as Ginny. They both walked out with a box containing their uniforms and skipped triumphantly over to Olivanders. This was the shop Emily was most excited about. She had been waiting eagerly for a wand since Harry got accepted, which, even though it had only been a year, had felt like AGES.

Olivander had a rule that only one student may be allowed inside, in case their presence affected the wands and the wrong wand is chosen. Since Ginny went first in Madam Malkin's Robes, They agreed that Emily would go first for a wand.

Luckily, the line from earlier that morning had shortened by a lot, so she only had to wait about 20 minutes before she went inside. She stepped cautiously into the dark room, excitement bubbling up inside her. Shelves upon shelves of small, long boxes lined the walls. Ollivander was hunched over at a desk towards the back of the room, scribbling something quickly on a piece of parchment. She was about to make a noise to let him know she was there when he spoke.

'Emily Louise Potter,' he stated without looking up. Emily was shocked. He even knew her middle name! And he hadn't even seen her come in! She didn't tell anyone her middle name, not even her Aunt and Uncle, not that they'd care.

'H-how do you know my name?' she stuttered as she cautiously approached him.

'I've been expecting you. I've known who you were from the moment you were born. And don't ask how. I have my ways.' He finally looked up, his green eyes glistening in the dim light. 'Well then, I don't need to ask if you would like a wand, because if you didn't you wouldn't be here. Let's get started.'

He examined the shelves for a minute before raising his wand and pointing it to one of the highest. Emily watched in awe as a pale brown box floated down and positioned itself on the table. The lid sprang off and inside sat a dark brown wand with a thick and sturdy handle, and small notches up the tip.

'Elder wood, Phoenix feather core, 11.5 inches, Flexibility...' he picked up the wand and attempted to bend it. 'Feels pretty sturdy. Give it a wave, will you?' he held out the wand. Emily knew it wasn't the wand for her before she even touched it, but she didn't want to cause a fuss or question Olivanders choices, so she took it in her hand. It felt wrong.

CRASH! A lampshade on the desk shattered as she waved the wand in the air. 'Oh gosh I'm so sorry. I hope that wasn't important,' Emily tried to smile apologetically.

'It's fine, I don't keep anything of importance in this room, you wouldn't believe the amount of times this has happened.' He shrugged and took the wand from her hand.

'On to the next, I suppose.' He waved his wand at a shelf towards the door, and another box came sailing over in mid-air.

'Silverleaf Willow wood, Thunderbird feather core, 11.5 inches again, whimsically elastic. A very unpredictable wand, known for its shimmery finish.' He handed it to her and she immediately understood what he meant. It glistened like snow, and it was a very pale brown colour. Emily loved the sight of it, but she couldn't quite feel the connection when she picked it up. It didn't do anything more than shoot a few sparks out of the tip, but she was glad it hadn't destroyed anything.

'Ooh we're getting close...' Olivander smiled and returned the wand to its box. I have a few more we can try, just let me get them.' he summoned 3 more boxes down to the table, and each of the lids flew off.

'How many am I going to have to try before I get the right one?' Emily asked, eyeing the thousands of wands around the room.

'Hopefully not many more. And like I always say, the wand chooses the wizard.'

'Alright next we have a very powerful wand. Obsidian Ebony wood, Basilisk Scale core, 13 inches, inflexibly rigid.' He handed the wand to Emily, who took it excitedly. She liked the idea of having a powerful wand, so she hoped this wand would choose her. As soon as she touched it, gold sparks flew out of the tip. It looked like it was choosing her, until...

CRASH!!! An even bigger crash than before echoed around the room. A large vase, which had previously been holding a withering plant, was now shattered all over the floor. A piece of porcelain hit Emily's leg in all the commotion, and she yelped in pain.

'Don't worry about the vase,' Olivander sighed and flicked his wand. The pieces of the vase immediately vanished, including the one which had been stuck in her leg. 'Are you ok? That wand is definitely too powerful. I'm quite stupid to have thought a first-year was ready for this kind of power, but I had to give it a try.

Emily was on the verge of tears, and not from the pain. She was not even strong enough to have a cool wand. She was never going to be as good as her brother.

'I have another one though, don't worry. This one is slightly more suitable for a first year.' He handed her a shimmery white wand. To her delight, it did nothing when she touched it. A small ball of hope sparked in her chest that maybe, just maybe, she could still get a more powerful wand than Harry did.

'Hm, if that one didn't work, I don't think my last option will.' Olivander sighed and looked around the room.

'I'm not exactly sure what to do now.' He gave Emily a puzzled look which made her want to run away and cry. None of the wands wanted her!

Suddenly, a golden glow filled one of the dark corners of the room. Olivander whipped around and dashed to the scene, quickly followed by Emily. There, in the corner, on the very bottom shelf, sat an old battered-up box. It was alone on the shelf, there were no other wands near it. It was glowing and shaking slightly. Emily reached out and picked up the box. As soon as she had it in her hand, a shimmering white wand shot out. It had fine patterns and symbols snaking up the handle, and it had a gentle swirl going up the tip.

'Well, I'll be damned.' Olivander muttered under his breath.