Chapter 17

Kate awoke to the aroma of fish simmering over the campfire and Tom's trademark dimples covered in a shadow of sandy whiskers. He had obviously risen early, hiked to a nearby river or tributary and somehow made his catch without a fishing pole or net. He'd found a flat rock, washed it clean and laid it on top of the flames. The fillets sizzled on the rock's smooth surface. He used his pocketknife as a makeshift spatula, further evidence of his ingenuity.

Upon seeing Kate awake, his first words were, "Morning, sunshine."

Tom was back to his self-induced amnesia regarding her name, but there was something different in his tone this time. It seemed more of a compliment than an insult or a belittlement.

He offered a tentative smile and went back to cooking. Oddly enough, Kate was relieved to see that he was being proactive concerning their survival. She rose and stretched and walked over to the campfire. Five minutes later, they were eating, leaning against the fallen tree. The fish had good flavor and her hunger was fierce. Tom was quiet while they ate, which was out of character for him, but considering the circumstances, warranted. They chased their breakfast with water from their flasks, and then made their way up the incline of the rock formation to the vent shaft he discovered.

Kate opened her satchel and Tom said, "You have a headlamp. Two of them, and flashlights. You've been holding out on me."

"That's the only thing I have that you don't. I wish I had a bloody rope."

"That would be nice." He paused and looked up, a savvy gleam in his eyes Kate knew so well. "Wait a minute."

Tom walked up to a nearby tree and grabbed a hold of a vine. It extended high into the branches. He yanked on it, once... twice, and it broke free and fell to the ground at his feet.

"This place might as well be a hardware store," he said. "It should be strong enough to hold you but thin enough to tie off around your waist with no problem."

"Should be?"

"Quit stalling. You should be halfway down that hole by now. Come on, let's do this."

Tom took her by the hand and led her to the opening. Kate wasn't one to be smitten overnight. She had been a single mother for over four years, but that was the first time he'd held her hand in half a decade. She flashed back to their better days, when holding hands with him was as natural as breathing.

He straightened her blouse, snugged the vine around her waist and tied it in a knot. She struggled to suppress a sudden delight from their proximity. His eyes fell on hers.

"Don't get any ideas." He grinned big but didn't wait for her to respond. "Alright, down the hole you go."

Tom placed the headlamp over her brow and slapped a flashlight in her hand. "There's only one way to see if there's gold or a dead emperor down there."

"I'm vehemently pleased by your eagerness."

Procrastination was a weakness of Kate's, but not Tom. She inspected the vine once more and then crouched over the hole. She poked her head in first, looking for bugs or snakes, or something worse. Then she crept into the shaft, carefully using her elbows, hands, knees and feet, pressing against the stone walls for leverage. It was dingy, and the temperature grew cooler the further she descended. It smelled musty and damp.

"You alright so far?" Tom yelled to Kate.

She must have been fifteen feet down. "Just plain spiffy."

"What?"

"I'm fine, thanks," she replied.

"Okay, be careful. If you die, I'll never be able to get the gold without dynamite."

"Tom, you're not helping."

"I'm playing with you. I've got you."

That sounded good... until she felt the vine loosen around her waist. Kate removed her hand to secure the line, but she couldn't seem to correct the issue. Without thinking, she moved her other hand from the wall to tighten the natural rope. She tried to pin the flashlight with her elbow while she worked. Not a brilliant idea. It slipped free and tumbled away. The torch was powered off so she couldn't see it, but she heard it bouncing off the walls until it was gone.

Then Kate lost traction with the slick stone and slid headlong down the hole. Her scream echoed around her as she plunged into darkness, her headlamp lighting the way.