4. What happens at zero?

Everyone is packed into a cramped elevator. Misty hates elevators. Her Daddy let her watch a scary movie with him once but she had to promise not to tell her Mom. In the movie, a lady gets stuck in an elevator and tries to climb out but then the elevator goes up and she gets cut in half. Misty had nightmares for a week but she still never told her Mom.

This elevator is a little different, it's big but there's too many people and it smells terrible.

Misty doesn't like the doctor guy, he gives her the creeps, something is just off about him.

"Are we underground?" Carol asks the doctor as they walk down the halls which makes her realize there are no windows.

She nervously bites her fingernails at the thought. What if we get stuck down here?

"Try not to think about it" The doctor says as if it's that easy. For a doctor he gives pretty bad advice.

He has them all line up to give a blood sample. Misty's not sure what he means by blood sample until she's up next and Andrea gets a needle poked into her arm and her blood starts to go into a tube. Misty starts to feel dizzy and turns around to leave but she slams into a body and stumbles back.

"You alright kid?" Daryl grabs her shoulder to steady her. Misty shakes her head no and looks over at Andrea getting her blood taken.

He sighs and bends his knees so he's eye level with her. "It goes fast and you won't even feel it" his tone is a little annoyed.

Misty holds her pinky up to him, making him pinky promise but he just looks down at her hand and scoffs, "Your turn" he nods his head towards the seat Andrea just got up from. Misty lowers her hand to her side and pretends to be brave even though she's terrified. She hesitantly sits in the seat.

"Alright let me see your arm sweetheart" the doctor is being nice but Misty doesn't move, "Not a fan of needles?"

She shakes her head.

"I promise it's over before you realize it's in your arm." He's trying to bargain with her, "What's your name?"

She reaches for her notepad but Daryl impatiently blurts out, "She don't talk" He walks up to the table, "Misty, stop making the rest of us wait just give the man your arm"

She looks up at Daryl and gives him a mean stare.

"You know Misty, there's a rec room with a bunch of games, toys and books if you're interested." The doctor is persuading her. "But you can't see any of it unless you let me take your blood."

Books? Like new books I haven't read 100 times before like the ones in Dales RV. Misty sighs and hesitantly places her arm on the table. Squeezing her eyes shut when he pokes her with the needle. He was right, it didn't hurt as bad as she thought it would, she just felt a little dizzy walking away from the table.

I haven't had this much food in a long time.

"You know, in Italy, children have a little bit of wine with dinner." Everyone is laughing as Dale pours wine into Carl's cup and he takes a sip. His reaction causes more laughter to erupt. Everyone is laughing and they look happy but Misty still feels sad, sad for her Daddy, sad for Jim sitting alone against that tree back on the road. The sound of a fork against a glass brings Misty out of her thoughts.

The doctor is telling us about everything that happened but Misty doesn't hear anything after he says that the rest of the people "opted out".

What does that mean? Is that what Jim did? Is that what Mommy did?

After dinner everybody shuffles into their own rooms to shower and Misty stands in the hallway not sure what to do until Carol sees her and invites Misty to use her and Sofia's shower. After they all shower she lets Carol brush her hair out and then goes with them to the Rec room. She takes turns playing checkers with Carl and Sofia for a little bit and then sifts through all the books lining the shelves. Misty picks 3 chapter books she has never seen before off the shelf and tucks them under her arm to take back to the room. Soon after, Carol says it's time for bed and she's walking down the hall with her, Carl and Sofia towards the rooms until she realizes that she forgot her notepad in the Rec room.