12- "I used your blood to bind you to me."

CHAPTER 12

"It's not the house that's haunted; it's your son." ~ Elise Rainier, Insidious

Məhv Edən's latest intrusion into Hazel's head left her feeling broken. She felt a deep sense of powerlessness to accompany the debilitating headache that seemed to be building up again.

She tossed and turned in her bed for an hour before finally deciding to take a stroll through the mansion. Better sooner rather than later.

Hazel glanced at the clock before turning her gaze towards the door. In the back of her mind, she registered that she had broken the clock by smashing it against the door.

It had been repaired somehow; she had a vague idea that it was Məhv Edən's doing, knowing Murata was not allowed to use magic except to communicate with her master.

It was 2:17 in the morning when she crept out of her room, careful to slither silently in the dead of night.

Hazel dreaded another surprise visit from Məhv Edən, so she focused on keeping her heart rate steady to avoid alerting him through the choker.

Luckily, she knew the seal on her door had been removed since yesterday's events. However, the situation was different for the rest of the mansion. Most of the doors on the second floor remained locked, with only two opening at her touch.

She started to panic slightly as the date of her next fertile phase approached closer and closer with each passing day.

Despite not knowing what day it was today (she had been denied the privilege of owning a calendar in a gentle but resolute tone by Murata), she had kept track of the days since her last menstrual cycle.

She was desperate to escape before The Week arrived. With her heart pounding, she made her way to the third floor, recalling the harrowing view from the balcony.

She doubted that Məhv Edən would have left the balcony door unlocked, and she was right. It didn't budge under her clammy hands. Gnashing her teeth in frustration, she tried other doors, but they all remained stubbornly locked as well.

She remembered that some of them had opened the last time she had ventured through the third floor.

However, Məhv Edən had added extra security measures since her failed suicide attempt and sealed the floors off against the only intruder on the property.

There was nothing except a thick layer of dust crunching softly beneath her feet. She turned to investigate the seating area. At least he was unable to seal that off.

There were no couches or chairs, but they were covered in thick sheets, hiding under layers of dust.

Hazel neared the fireplace, finding it as useless as the rest of the floor. There was nothing she could wield as a weapon (not even a fire poker) to defend herself against Məhv Edən, nor anything she could use to escape.

She tried the kitchen and what looked like a laundry room and searched the linen closets and all the cupboards and drawers she could lay her hands on; all were empty except for one. It contained numerous empty cans of cat food, emitting a foul odour of rotten fish. She gagged before shutting the cabinet hastily, covering her nose with her arm.

A cat? It must have belonged to Murata; Məhv Edən does not look like a man who indulges in connections with other living beings.

She made a mental note to ask Murata about it the following morning if she cared to show up. Since Məhv Edən had been tasked with taking Hazel out for walks, Murata had discreetly made herself absent again.