5: the coffee

I'm in the grocery store standing in front of the snacks. Tonight Florence is coming over to watch a movie and I'm supposed to get snacks. I know what snacks I want: caramel popcorn, M&M's, chips and strawberries covered in chocolate. I have everything, the only thing I can't find is the caramel popcorn. When I finally find it, it's to high up and I can't reach it. 'Need a little help?' a familiar voice. A voice I can link to Matheo Henderson. 'Yes I do, I can't reach the caramel popcorn. Can you get it for me?' Matheo grabs the bag of popcorn and drops it in my cart. 'I didn't stop thinking about you when you left me that morning. You were the only thing I thought about for days. I have lots of questions. Could we catch up sometime, to drink a coffee and just talk. I promise you, no kisses, no onenightstands. Just me asking you the questions I have for the last month.' I sigh. 'Fine, I'm busy, but I have time for you on 1:30 today.' I smile at him as he nods.

'Well, what are your questions?' I ask Matheo as we sit at a table with our coffees. My mouth falls open as I see that he gets a little notebook out of his pocket. 'Yes, I wrote it all down.' he says as he sees me staring. 'Okay, first question. Why do you think your not the right girl for me?' I knew this question was coming. 'I'm only here because of the scholarship. In the breaks I go back to France for my grandma, I'm the only person she has left y'know. I love her.' Matheo writes something down as he asks me: 'Why don't you want a boyfriend?' I smile: 'I want a boyfriend, but like I said: I'll go back to France in the breaks and after college, I'm not coming back here. I'm also not made for a long distance relationship. So yeah, no boyfriends for me in the US. Next question.' I look at his veiny hands as he writes something down again. 'Why don't you need a boyfriend?' I take a sip from my coffee before I answer. I don't know why I said that actually. 'Oh well, I have a busy life. I want a relationship one day, of course, but not yet. I want to hook up with random people at parties. I want enough time for my friends and studies. I don't really have time for boyfriends and stuff. It'll come to me when it's time.' he writes something down again. 'Let me ask you a question now. Why were you still with your girlfriend if you think she was toxic?' I see Matheo hesitating. 'I answered your questions honestly. Now it's time for you to answer my question. Honestly.' I grin as he sighs. 'I'm here because I got a scholarship, I got that scholarship because I'm so good at hockey and my girlfriends dad is the coach of the hockeyteam. I thought that dating the coach his daughter would make him like me more. I don't think it matters though, but my girlfriend threatened me with her dad kicking me out of the team if I would break up with her.' 'So, you're staying with her because of her dad?' 'No, because of my place in the hockeyteam, that I don't wanna lose.' I smile at him. 'If you want to break up with your girlfriend, but you don't dare to because the thought of losing your place in the hockeyteam. Why don't you just talk to the coach about it and say that you're starting to lose feelings for his daughter, but you don't want to break up with her because you'r scared you'll lose your place in the team. I'm sure he understands that.'

'I'm gonna talk to the coach tonight after practice.' he gives me a note with his number on it. 'Here, I have a game tomorrow. Wanna come?' I nod. 'I'd be happy to come.'