ᥫ᭡𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 1

The weather is beautiful, and the sun shines high, but the cold is still felt in Baguio. Couples stroll hand in hand, children laugh as they chase each other, and vendors peddle their goods under the shade of towering trees. People strolling through Burnham Park are happy, except for a young lady sitting on a bench.

"He loves me? He loves me not? He loves me?" The woman sighed before finally removing the last petal of the red rose she was holding. "He loves me not."

"Why?!" she sat down with the young man almost next to her in the seat. Lost in her contemplation, she is startled by the presence of a young man beside her, his gaze fixed on the pages of a book. "Have you been watching me?" said the woman again to the man, who was currently reading a book. There was a tone in her voice; that's why the young man stood up and just left.

"Bastos 'tong lalaking 'to ah! Kinakausap pa eh," the woman snorted while talking to herself. She noticed that there was a ballpoint pen left on the seat of the man she was talking to earlier, who had not yet completely moved away. She took it and tried to chase the young man.

"Hey! Hey!" shouted the girl as she chased the young man. When he turned to her, she immediately asked him. "Sa'yo to?" he said, raising a Parker ballpoint pen. At that point, she was able to examine the ballpoint pen, and that's when she saw a name engraved on it: Xavier.

"So, your name is Xavier?" The woman forced a smile as she handed the ballpoint pen to the young man. Xavier just nodded at her and took the pen. "Pipi ka ba?" He just shook his head in response. "Why don't you even say thank you?" The girl crossed her arms at the same time.

"Thank you," Joshua answered plainly. After that, the young man immediately turned his back on her and started walking away.

"Wait! Wait!" the girl chased again. "Aren't you going to ask my name? So you can at least thank me properly?" she asked. The girl noticed that Xavier turned around as if observing the people before turning his attention back to her. "Anyway, Athalia nga pala. Ang sungit mo ah. Turista ka?" Athalia asked, but as usual, she received no response from the other.

"Hay naku. Sayang ang laway ko," Athalia whispered to herself. "Just be careful, Xavier!" After she said that, she turned and walked away.

"Athalia!" Xavier called.

Athalia immediately turned around and quickly looked back at the young man. "Yes?"

"Are you from here?" Xavier asked weakly.

"Huh?! I didn't hear what you said." Athalia put her ear close to Xavier.

Xavier took a deep breath. "Are you from here!?" the young man asked loudly.

Athalia nodded. "What do you need? A tour guide? A transient house? A fortune teller? Name it!" Athalia asked one after the other while taking out a small notebook from her small bag.

Athalia noticed that the young man didn't say anything; he just bowed and seemed sad. "Are you okay?" she asked the young man, but he still did not answer her. "Iniwan ka ng jowa mo, 'no?" Athalia lifted Xavier's face at the same time. There, she could completely see the sadness on the young man's face. "Naku! Sinasabi ko na nga ba."

"How did you say so?" That's when Xavier's eyebrows met.

"How... If you're with someone, or you have a girlfriend, where is she? Why are you walking here alone?"

"That's your only basis?" Xavier's raised an eyebrow at Maris.

"Gut feeling. Why am I wrong?" along with Athalia's teasing smile. The young man shook his head and walked away, but the mischievous Athalia continued to follow him. "Sorry. Sorry if I'm wrong." Athalia accompanied Xavier on a walk.

"Why are you following me? Don't you have a friend to go with?" Xavier scolded Athalia.

"Whoa! Who said I don't have a boyfriend?" Athalia shouted at Xavier.

"If you have a boyfriend, he would be with you right now. Hindi ka sunod nang sunod sa akin at sana hindi ka naghi-he loves me; he loves me, not Kanina," Xavier continued to tease.

"Tse! Let's leave!" Athalia walked out.

***

"Antipatikong lalaki yun. Akala mo kung sinong gwapo. Nakakaasar!" Athalia was talking to herself, annoyed, while eating hot strawberry taho.

"Kuya isa pong taho." Athalia turned after hearing that familiar voice.

"Are you following me?" Athalia asked the man flatly.

"Wow, confidence level," the man answered.

"Why are you here, Xavier?"

"Why do you own this? A public place, 'to ah?"

"Huy, kayong dalawa. 'Wag kayong mag-LQ sa lugar na maraming tao. Pag-usapan niyo 'yan ng pribado para balik labing-labing," the vendor interjected after preaching to them. The two looked at each other and just burst into laughter.

"Epal ni Manong. Nakakaasar," Xavier said while laughing.

"Kaya nga. Sarap...grrrr," Athalia gulped at the plastic cup of tea in her hand. They looked at each other again and smiled at each other.

"It's Xavier..." at the same time, raising his right hand to shake hands. "Thank you sa pagsoli ng ballpen ko, Athalia."

"You're welcome. Just call me Athalia." And she accepted Xavier's handshake.

"So you're from here?" asked Xavier.

"Hmmm...slight. I grew up here. You? Where do you stay, and are you really alone?"

Xavier nodded. "Near Suello Village. But I'll only be there until tomorrow, because they're fully booked. Do you know of a transient house where I can stay? 'Yung mura lang ah."

"Hanggang kailan ka ba rito?"

"I don't know yet. It depends."

"Depends on where?" Athalia wondered. Xavier shook his head. "Basta. Ano, meron ba?"

"Labo mo naman. Hmmm. Maarte ka ba sa lugar?" Athalia asked.

"Paanong maarte?"

"I mean, Maselan. It's hard to find a place now, especially in peak season. Kung hindi ka naman maarte, may kwarto sa kabilang bahay namin. Walang nakatira roon. Konting linis lang, choks na yun."

"Is there a bed? Air conditioning? Water? And may mapaglulutuan ba?"

"Arte nito. Walang aircon. Kung kailangan mong maligo at magluto sa bahay na lang namin. 100 pesos per day ang kwarto. May kasama nang electric fan. Kapag makikiligo at makikidumi ka, 10 pesos. Pag iihi, 5 pesos. At kung magluluto ka, depende. Ana choks ba?"

Xavier shook his head at her. "Negosyante"

"I know. Hey, for your information, there are a lot of crazy people here in Baguio. Mas okay nang negosyante kesa naman manggugulang. What, are you in or out?"

"Alright, alright. I just need something to sleep in tomorrow."

"Okay!" Athalia took out his notebook and started writing. "This is my address and number. Contact me if you need anything, okay?" Athalia gave a wide smile to Xavier, who did nothing but nod.

***

Xavier was able to move peacefully to the transient house next to Athalia's house. The young man felt peace of mind in such a place, except whenever someone visited him.

"Xavier! Open the door!" Athalia shouted.

Xavier opened the door, clearly annoyed with Athalia. "Why, what do you need?"

"Nothing, I just want to welcome you. So, welcome!" Xavier didn't do anything else when Athalia directly entered his room carrying a bowl of lomi, which she placed on the table next to the young man's bed.

"Are you really like that?" Xavier asked irritably.

"What's that?"

"Naughty and noisy," answered the young man without hesitation.

"Wow, grabe. Ang hard mo naman," Athalia reacted in shock.

"Sorry. Sorry. I was reading a book; I was surprised when you came. Sorry. Come on, let's eat the lunch you brought," apologized Xavier, who was obviously surprised by what he said.

"It's okay. I'm leaving," replied Athalia. Xavier suddenly grabbed the hand of Athalia, who, at that time, was already out the door. The girl was surprised by what the young man did.

"Xavier! Don't! I'm not ready yet!" Athalia exclaimed while pulling her hand.

"What? Are you crazy!?" Xavier's eyes widened, which made Athalia laugh a lot.

"You're so serious. What are you reading?" grabbed the book held by the young man. Xavier was trying to grab the book back while Athalia was flipping through its pages. "Love Renewed: The Formula for Winning Back Your Ex," said Athalia. "What is this???"

Xavier was very annoyed when he got the book back from the girl. "Ano ba? Ang kulit mo talaga!" he said irritably.

"So I'm right, you're here to move on," Athalia teased.

"Athalia, pwede ba? Konting preno naman. We're not close, and I'm not your friend," Xavier exclaims angrily to Athalia. After that, Xavier immediately noticed the girl's surprise and sudden change in mood.

"Sorry" was all Xavier could say.

"I'll leave," and Athalia hurriedly left Xavier's room.

After the girl came out, Xavier threw the book at the door and sat on his bed. "bad trip!"

After Athalia left, Xavier sat on his bed, feeling a mix of emotions. He regretted snapping at her and felt bad for ruining the moment. Looking at the book "Love Renewed: The Formula for Winning Back Your Ex," he realized it reminded him of his failed relationship. He wanted to move on, but it wasn't easy.

He knew he overreacted and felt sorry. As he calmed down, he decided to apologize to Athalia. Deep down, he appreciated her company, even if he didn't show it. With a sigh, he hoped he could make things right with her and maybe even find some peace of mind. So, he decided to find her and apologize, feeling both nervous and determined.

When he spotted Athalia talking to someone, he slowly approached her. "Hey, Athalia," he said quietly, trying to sound sincere. "I'm sorry for earlier. I shouldn't have snapped at you. Can we start over? Let's be friends." Athalia looked at him, surprised but glad he had apologized. She nodded, accepting his apology with a smile.

Xavier felt so much better when Athalia forgave him. He felt like a heavy burden had been lifted from his shoulders. He was happy he had the courage to say sorry and hoped they could be friends again.

Athalia was grateful for Xavier's apology. It made her feel like he valued their new friendship. She was really happy they could start and forget about what happened.

As they looked at each other with smiles, Xavier and Athalia felt a huge sense of relief. They were glad they would start a friendship. They knew they could trust each other from now on.

After patching things up, Xavier wanted to do something nice for Athalia. "Hey, Athalia," he said with a smile. "How about we grab some ice cream?"

Athalia's face lit up with excitement. "That sounds amazing, Xavier! Let's go!"

As they walked to the ice cream shop, Xavier asked, "So, how have you been, Athalia?"

Athalia grinned. "I've been good, Xavier! Thanks for asking. How about you?"

Xavier shrugged. "I've been better, but I'm glad we sorted things out."

At the ice cream shop, Xavier gestured towards the array of flavors. "What flavor do you want, Athalia?"

Athalia's eyes sparkled as she scanned the options. "Hmm, I think I'll go for mango and strawberry swirl."

Xavier nodded. "Good choice. I'll have the same."

As they enjoyed their ice cream together, Xavier couldn't help but feel grateful for Athalia's forgiveness. "Thanks for being such a great friend, Athalia," he said sincerely.

Athalia smiled. "Of course, Xavier. From now on, we are friends, and friends stick together no matter what, right?"

Xavier nodded, feeling a sense of warmth and contentment. "Absolutely."

After finishing their ice cream, Xavier and Athalia continued their stroll through Burnham Park, chatting and laughing as they enjoyed each other's company. The sun began to set, casting a warm glow over the park, and they found a quiet spot to sit and watch the colors change in the sky. As they reflected on their day, they both felt grateful for the opportunity to mend their friendship and create new memories together. With smiles on their faces, they knew that no matter what the future held, they would always have each other.

≛ 𝙰𝚞𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚛

That's all Nababies, hope y'all will support me until the end of this book. Have a nice day/night ahead!!

✿ :: Yours Truly, Nabi!