𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 02

Past •

She was opening the car door when she saw Nano coming out of the lounge. Perhaps she heard the car's horn and came out. Seeing her, she spread her arms from a distance. She smiled and went to her and cuddled.

"This time I missed you a lot," she said, kissing her cheeks.

"I missed you guys too, Nano!" When she came inside the lounge with her, she said.

"I know."

They walked together affectionately, with her leaning on her shoulder.

"How was your stay, dear? Did you enjoy it?"

"Yes, I enjoyed it a lot."

"How is Shamina? When is she coming to Pakistan?"

"She is fine, there is no plan for her to come to Pakistan yet. Maybe next year." Putting her bag on the sofa as she entered the lounge, she said.

"It's been four years since they went there, and still, she didn't feel like coming back."

She had heard them out while Nano spoke. She kept looking at her face for a while.

"They are thinking of shifting from Australia to America. Uncle's contract is ending this year. They are considering an offer from an American company. Mom was saying that if they plan to settle in America next year, they will visit Pakistan before going there."
She tried to reassure Nano.

"How are your other siblings?"
Nano tried to read her expression.

"Very well, they've grown up so much now. I brought some pictures. You should see them," she said, glancing down as she started to unfold her tablet. Nano kept silent, observing her face.

"You seem weaker than before," she remarked.

"Yes, perhaps. I was ill for a few days there. The water wasn't suitably treated."
She had told Nano with a slight smile.

"You were sick, but you didn't tell me. Sameena didn't mention it on the phone either," Nano had approached her with a worried expression.

"I didn't want to worry you unnecessarily. Besides, it wasn't that serious," she replied casually.

"Still, you should have told me, shouldn't you?" Nano insisted.

"Nanu! Please, I'm fine. Can't you see I'm not sick anymore?" she tried to deflect the conversation.

Kristy, where is it?" It had suddenly occurred to her.

"She was sitting under the stairs. I didn't even ask you for tea. I'll just come after telling (cook) something about your meal...."
Nano got up and walked towards the kitchen.

She took a deep breath and patted the sofa's back. A month later, she came back with a sense of calm and tranquility. It felt as if she had returned home. Everything was the same. She walked up to the window. Someone was cutting the grass. She stared at it aimlessly for a while, then turned towards the corridor. After walking down the corridor, she saw the stairs. Involuntarily, a smile appeared on her face.

"Kristy!"
she called out loudly.

With the sound of meowing, a cat appeared from under the stairs and swiftly approached her. It settled down on the carpet beside her knees. The cat came straight to her, and she gathered it into her lap. For a few minutes, she continued to stroke its head and body, then lifted it up and brought it close to her face.

"I missed you so much," she said to the white cat as if it understood her words.

"Did you remember me?" The cat attempted to respond with the sound of its meowing.