Chapter 8: Logical Doors

It's funny how one step into a place can make you feel like you're drowning.

There was no relief or lightness on Izuku's shoulders when he stepped out in front of his front door. Instead, he felt an old familiar weight settle back into its home in his chest and lungs that made drawing each breath a task.

Home.

Or at least that's what it should be, but never once did Izuku feel welcomed there. Instead he was ignored, criticized, scrutinized, and neglected.

Inko Midoriya was a concoction of contradictions and hypocrisies. She'd go from treating him as a roommate to a child that needed their every move recorded. Inko would never give him affection, then expect Izuku to respond sweetly to her and to not cause trouble for his 'poor mother'. He wasn't allowed to miss a phone call from her, while his calls always went to voicemail. She used to complain about the parent teacher conferences that she never attended.

What a loving mother indeed.

Home? Izuku doubted whether or not he'd ever truly find out what that felt like.

For now, he heated up the other can of soup and tried to prepare himself for school the next day in silence that was deafening.

__

It was amusing to walk down the halls of UA after having spent the weekend in company of villains. Especially two villains that had attacked the very institution of education he attended.

Izuku couldn't exactly bring himself to care.

Instead, he was trying his best to collect enough energy to open the unnecessarily large door of class 1-A. Why the damn door needed to be so large, Izuku had to think about the answer for a moment.

Wait, there's a possibility that past or future UA students may not fit through a "normal" size door. Quirks, mutations, and simply people who were bigger than others existed, after all.

Izuku sighed. So yeah, maybe it made sense, but still, Izuku was small and didn't enjoy the fact that the door could be so overbearing. Sue him.

He was glaring at the door when he noticed his homeroom teacher appear next to him. Not bothering to look at the man and still glaring at the door, Izuku spoke.

"I know it's logical for the door to be so big Sensei, but sometimes I just wish it was smaller."

Izuku looked to the side to see his teacher looking at him.  He heard the man sigh, "I'm glad to see one of my students shares the same thought as I do. But for now let's go inside, class will start soon."

Green eyes returned to the door and Izuku took a deep breath as if preparing for a fight. "Alright Aizawa-sensei," he said before he finally pushed open the door.

_______

Shouta had thought that Midoriya was one of his students he'd have to keep a closer eye on since the beginning. He had been correct.

But what he hadn't expected was for his student to be still standing outside of the class door minutes before the bell. And looking dead on his feet. He had known that Midoriya didn't particularly get sleep or a decent amount of sleep, but the appearance of  Midoriya made him feel concerned. The teen looked too similar to how Shouta saw himself sometimes.

Then Midoriya, without even looking at him, noticed he was there and posed an odd question.

First off, no one really was able to be aware of Shouta's presence so easily. Second, no one ever said the size of the doors was logical (they seemed to forget the possibilities of students or teachers with a bigger than usual stature).