Chapter 7

Hot shot was soon going to start chemotherapy. Hot shot was wondering about chemotherapy and what it was going to be like. It was the start of February and he was going to be starting chemo in couple of days. Hot shot was kind of nervous about it. So Hot shot watched the video on the imaginary friend society about chemotherapy. It explained how chemotherapy is given and the side effects of chemotherapy. Hot shot felt better after watching it and was knowing what to expect and what it does.

Hot shot was learning a lot about many different things. While in the hospital. Hot shot was learning a lot about his illness. He was learning about how it affects him and how the treatment will help make him better. Hot shot and his friends were all doing well with their treatment.

This morning Hot shot woke up bright and early. Today was the day he was going to start chemotherapy. He was a bit nervous but he was ready for it. Hot shot was ready and he looked at the Hickman line that stuck out of his chest. He knew he was going to be getting his chemotherapy through it.

First a nurse came and took some blood. Hot shot had to wait a bit. After a little bit Hot shot had take medicine. This medicine was to help with side effects of treatment and the symptoms of the brain tumor. Hot shot was now going to have to wait for the chemotherapy medication. "Why do I have to wait for it?" Hot shot asked.

"Because chemotherapy medicine has to be made to order," the nurse explained. "The chemotherapy needs to be made fresh whenever a patient needs it by IV or by central line. If it is by injection or by mouth it normally is already ready to take," he said. "Yours is an IV drip through your Hickman line," the nurse said.

"How long will it take?" Hot shot asked.

"It can take a hour or even the whole day, you might receive more than one medication," the nurse told him.

"I am a bit scared," Hot shot admitted.

"It's okay to feel that way," the nurse said. "Many kids feel that way before starting chemotherapy," he explained. "Just remember how it is going to help you," he told him.

"Okay," Hot shot said.

Then a couple of hours later the nurse came in with a bag of medication. Hot shot figured it must be the chemo. "Okay Hot shot, I got your chemotherapy right here," the nurse told him.

"Okay," Hot shot said.

The nurse first washed her hands and then set up the pump and IV. Then he watched her wash her hands again. Then she hooked up the IV line to his Hickman line. Then she unclamped the Hickman line and started the pump. "Now you can do what you like." The nurse told him.

"Cool," Hot shot said. Hot shot felt the medicine slowly drip in. It was cold, but it didn't hurt. Hot shot was now wondering what to do now. Hot shot decided to take a walk around the hospital. Hot shot was holding onto the IV pole as he was walking.

Hot shot was able to see many different things in the hospital. Hot shot was able to visit the gift shop and the build a bear. Hot shot was even able to get a build a bear to celebrate being brave at the start of chemo. His mother was helping him walk because he was still a bit unsteady with his balance and gait. Hot shot was going to need a lot of work and practice to get back up to speed or need a mobility aid for a while.

Hot shot was able to have lunch while on Chemotherapy. Hot shot was able to play on his new Nintendo Switch lite and watch videos on his tablet. Hot shot was able to enjoy himself. Hot shot was happy about that.

Hot shot soon heard a bleep. A nurse came in and disconnected the pump. Then the nurse clamped the line.

"Now you have more chemotherapy tomorrow," the nurse said. "You will get all of if through your Hickman line," she said. "you will also get things called blood transfusions through your Hickman line they will help you during treatment, because of what chemotherapy does when you are getting it," she said.