Prologue

Anne Pevensie was a quiet young girl, at 15 years old, she had made few friends and preferred to spend her time indoors with her mother and a book. Her siblings had been the more adventurous ones before the war. Now they often stayed with her, Lucy tucked into her lap as her older sister read to her.

Lucy was who Anne thought of first when she heard the air raid sirens. The young girl would be in bed at this time, but she knew to find her mother when the sirens rang. Anne slams her book shut - an old copy of 'The Hobbit' - and throws it into a small bag where a blanket and torch already lay. She picks up a small teddy bear and hugs it to her chest before also putting it in the bag.

Once her slippers were on, Anne ran to Lucy's room, she opened the door and heard her call for their mother.

"Oh Lucy!" she exclaims, she rushes towards her and picks her up "Come on," Lucy reaches down to pick up her own stuffed animal and Anne runs out of the room, bumping into Susan and hearing her brothers shouting in the living room. Susan leads the way to their small bunker in the garden, Anne hears her mother and brothers run after them.

"Wait. Dad!" she hears Edmund shout, Peter grabs at him and chases him

"Ed!"

"Edmund, no!"

"I'll get him!"

"Peter, come back!"

Anne merely hears the end of their argument, too focused on ushering Lucy inside the small room, she pushes her into Susan's arms and watches her mother enter, the ground shakes and Anne's ears ring as the bombs near them.

"Peter! Ed!" Anne is panicked, shouting out of the bunker, and then she sees Peter pulling their youngest brother along.

"Come on! Hurry!" their mother shouts. As they enter the shelter, Peter throws Edmund down onto the small bed, and Anne slams the door shut.

"Why can't you think of anyone but yourself? You're so selfish! You could have got us killed!"

"Peter," Anne says softly, noticing their father's photo grasped in Edmund's hand.

"Stop it!" Anne watches her mother grab Edmund, smothering him in a hug " It's OK. Shh,"

"Why can't you just do as you're told?!" Peter goes to shut the door, but notices Anne has already done it

"Yeah, while you were throwing a hissing fit, I tried to make sure we wouldn't blow up," She was quiet, just not with her siblings.

"Annie," her mother scolds and Anne rolls her eyes, sitting next to Susan.

✵⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆✵⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆✵

A few days later, their mother had packed their bags and walked them to the train station, ready to be sent to the country. Anne was scared, she didn't want to go and leave her mother. Her friend June had been allowed to stay, and Anne had cried and cried when her mother told her she had to leave.

Finally, she'd been sold on it when she'd remembered her siblings.

Anne watches her mum tie a label to Lucy "You need to keep this on, darling. All right? You warm enough?" Lucy nods " Good girl,"

"If Dad were here, he wouldn't make us go," Edmund pouts

"If Dad were here, it'd mean the war was over and we wouldn't have to go," Peter snaps

"You will listen to your brother, won't you Edmund?" he looks rather miserable at that thought "Or at least Anne," she says quietly and he nods ever so slightly. She stands to look at Peter.

"Promise me you'll look after the others,"

"I will, Mum,"

"Good man," the other passengers start to board "Susan. Be a big girl..." Susan nods and Mrs Pevensie moves to her oldest daughter, holding her face "Oh Anne," she notices her frown and teary eyes "You have to be grown up now,"

"I don't want to," she sobs

"Oh darling," the woman tuts, she pulls away and reaches behind her neck, taking off her gold necklace, two opals hanging off it. She puts it on Anne "There, now off you go," she smiles and Anne quickly hugs her, squeezing tightly.

"I'm scared,"

"I know," she strokes her daughter's hair "Now be brave, for your siblings," Anne pulls away and notices Edmund and Lucy's sad eyes on her

"Come on, let's go," she smiles and waves to her mother "Love you,".

As Susan leads the younger two toward the train, Peter pulls his sister into a side hug "We'll be okay, so will mum,".