Chapter Fifteen

Klaus sat nervously in the diner. Cosmina and Sloane sat in the booth behind him for moral support. He tapped his fingers impatiently as he waited for Diego and Eudora to show. He had sent a message to the police chief who had been ecstatic to know the person giving him hints was one of the Umbrella Academy; it made more sense to him as to why he requested for Diego to enter the police academy, but he knew now Diego really wanted this job and pulled his weight in the academy. The chief and Klaus made a deal and now Klaus sat there nervous and slightly in pain. He played with the coffee cup in front of him so he didn't itch his neck and wipe the makeup covering the bruise from his vision off.

*******

"So he's the one that sees ghosts?" Eudora Patch asked Diego when they made their way to the diner. She was driving a car with Diego in the passenger seat.

"Yeah, he didn't help much in our missions, but it's not really a combat ability," Diego said.

"And he helped you get into the academy?" Eudora questioned, feeling skeptical as she rolled her heavy feeling shoulders when they were at a stoplight.

"Well, he didn't exactly reveal who he was to the chief, I assume to keep the biased opinion out of it until I could prove that this is what I wanted to do. I didn't know he helped with cases...it must've been worse than I thought," Diego said with a shrug, muttering the last part. He had surprised himself with contacting Vanya, or at least keeping in contact with them. Vanya had been learning more about their ability and about themselves in general and Diego was happy for them.

"What?" Eudora questioned.

"Nothing," Diego sighed.

The duo pulled up in front of the diner and exited the car. The entered the diner and Diego nudged Eudora before walking off to find a man sitting nervously and hunched over at one of the tables.

"Klaus," Diego called. Eudora's eyes widened and she studied the man at the seat. He had curly brown hair and an olive complexion. His eyes were a forest green that shone against the bright pink furry jacket and black clothes he wore.

"Diego!" he answered cheerfully standing up to greet him, Eudora noticed his voice was a bit hoarse and he couldn't stand all the way up.

"Nice jacket," Diego said.

"Thanks, my partner got it...then I stole it and she let me have it—clashes with her hair," Klaus said with a dopey smile. Cosmina actually did get it for him, but it did really clash with her hair, but Klaus likes black and pink.

"This is Eudora Patch," Diego said, introducing her.

Klaus came forward, "Hi, sorry I'm a hugger," Klaus said, hugging her she hugged him back with a small smile. So far she liked Klaus, but she was skeptical of his ability.

They sat down and Klaus pauses, looking off to the side. Eudora tries to speak, but Diego held up a hand to stop her. Then Klaus looks at Eudora, "You're father says he loves you and misses you and you shouldn't feel guilty that you didn't get to him in time," he says with a serious face.

Eudora gasped, but how did she know he wasn't lying. Klaus suddenly rolled his eyes and pulled out his phone. "Grab my hands," he said. They both grabbed his hands hesitantly and then, to their shock, a waitress paused—froze, she froze. Diego felt Klaus let go and he looked in one direction, swiped his hand that glowed blue and the outline of a man screamed as it was thrown away and suddenly Eudora felt lighter.

"What was that?" Eudora and Diego asked.

"Eudora had an icky spirit with her, probably caused a lot of pressure since she seems more relaxed," Klaus said, folding his fingers as they suddenly glowed again revealing Eudora's father. "Please make it quick, the one who stopped time can't say so still for long," Klaus said.

"That friend that made the glitch?" Diego asked.

"Exactly."

Eudora quickly got to talk to her father and finally got to say his goodbyes before her father was able to move on.

"Wait, is Ben with you?" Diego asked.

"No."

"Why? You said he was with you, you even showed a picture," Diego said.

"Where Ben is remains a secret. I can still see him, but he is not currently here," Klaus said a bit cryptically. "Now, start time," Klaus said and then everyone was moving.

"So, you're friend is here?" Diego asked.

"Yes," Klaus answered.

"And your girlfriend or boyfriend?" Diego asked.

"No," Klaus lied. Diego raised squinted a bit, studying Klaus' face.

"I hate that I can't tell when you're lying," Diego said. Klaus grinned back at him.

"Let's get started," Klaus said, pulling out a file and slamming it down on top of the table, opening it up, he starts his part of the case.

Cosmina and Sloane, in the seats behind Klaus, smile as they listen to Klaus get to do a job in what he knows best—ghosts and murders.