Metanoia- Prologue

(Meet Jovie!)

Almost everything about Jovanna Everhart was a strange accident

The day Jovanna Everhart was born was the day the massive flood happened, completely consuming her birthplace, the family car. And that was when it all collapsed into turmoil.

The floodwater had been crawling their way into the car, almost as if it was banging on the door, which also was the cause of her sister, Tally's fear of water. Yet Jovie had giggled nonchalantly as the city itself collapsed, as if watching the world burn. And it did as well. The city was suffocating from the waters which grasped them and gulped them down in one go. The car, however, along with Jovie, made it out of the flood.

Although many had dismissed the miracle of the car which endured through the flood as a coincidence, her parents immediately recognised that she was the highest of magicians, or more specifically a Climatic—manipulator of the weather. However, to the rest of the world, magic was trouble that had to be contained. All of it, in a horrid place known as Metanoia, which was why the couple tried their very best to hide their little girl's magic.

Because magic meant trouble.

   The truth, however, was that being a Climatic is exhausting. She had caused so many droughts and rains just to avoid going to so-called St. Lamron's, of which her parents so kindly forced her into going to. And yet she felt drained of something every time she did that. There were times, too, times when she didn't even know why she endured so many sleepless nights, but when seeing the dark gloomy sky, she knew.

She simply did.

Word count: 298