INTERLUDE

(A lil funsie, right in Jovie's memories.)

7-year-old Jovanna Eloise Everhart's cherubic, puffy cheeks struggled not to turn over as she bit back her tears and gritted her teeth. She couldn't get over how her parents didn't let her go to Kalopsia, the famous fun fair in town. But Tally and Tally Everhart alone (along with her parents) could go. Her parents had insisted that it was because Kalopsia was for 'big kids' and she had to be left alone, effectively abandoning her in the house. She couldn't stand the silence.

She couldn't stand being left alone again.

A knock on her door cleansed all her thoughts. "Hello? Anchovy?" a small, muffled whimper spread through the door. It wasn't the usual "Come-the-hell-out" by one of the neighborhood boys.

Deciding that she was polite enough, Jovie opened the door to her room and croaked, her voice raspy from all the sobbing, "Tally?"

And indeed it was a blonde 11-year-old whose hair had been tied with neat braids, with small eyes that grabbed the attention of the seven-year-old, and of course every parent.

"Are you crying?" Tally let out a gasp, but Jovie could tell that she already knew. "Just wanna make sure crap is all good, but unfortunately it isn't."

"Don't swear!" snapped Jovie, even though she knew it was useless, because Tally was hopeless. But also a hopelessly good sister.

"Yeah, fu—I mean, screw it, whatever." Tally remarked, making it clear to herself that she was minding her manners.

Jovie suppressed a silent sob.

Which made Tally's small yet hopeful pupils project towards her, and extended an arm and brushed away her tears. Jovie gave a nod, then looked up at the ceiling  and admired its intricate design. Tally tapped her feet. Yet she didn't get interrupted.

"Jovie, it's okay, listen..." she noticed her sobbing. "Well, it—this little incident—- isn't really a bummer." She sighed, making a desperate attempt to make her feel better. "I mean...I know what you're upset about, Jov, I get you."

"Get me? Get me what..." she glanced at her books, half-annoyed.

As if being left at home wasn't 'really a bummer'. It wasn't just a bummer, it was a nightmare.

"As in understand you. What's the big deal about being left alone? You're always staying in your room by yourself, and yet you seem to enjoy it. You coquette." teased Tally.

What's a coquette? Jovie looked up, finally finding the attention she'd been trying to gather to actually listen to someone for once. "But...I'm...scared."

Scared of being alone?" asked Tally, whose tone was now as soft as a fly's buzzing.

"Well, don't be," Tally gave her a soft smile, patting her head. "I'll try and convince your parents, I promise."

"Whuh—"

"You're still sad, aren't you." her expression was now solemn. "Don't keep it subtle–tell me what's wrong."

"I...so...Dad and Mum—"

"No, don't, I already know."

Though annoyed at being interrupted, Jovie waited for her to continue.

"You don't even have to say it. I know you're scared already. You've always been a scaredy-cat!" teased Tally.

  "Shut up." blushed Jovie, but covered her mouth when she realized she said something mildly inappropriate. (Keyword: mildly)

   "Kids these days."  she murmured, though mostly to herself.

She turned back to Jovie. "Hey. I just want you to know..." She blurted out, struggling to find the words she needed. "And although I've told this to you a million times..."

Jovie leaned in closer, already knowing what she was going to say.

"Look. Mum and Dad are harsh, I know them."

"Don't say that! They might just kill you–" warned Jovie, though half-expecting Tally frown to break into a grin.

"You wouldn't snitch, would you."

"Maybe not." smirked Jovie.

She shot her a quick glance and continued. "...please, you're better than this—no, better than them. So I believe...just don't be like them, you get what I mean?"

She gave a tight squeeze on one of Jovie's hands, then left the room to Jovie's own thoughts, where she would be away from her parents. Oh yes, far, far away from the bickering.

"Jovie looked down, wanting to say something, but tears suffocated her already. Left to her own thoughts, she picked up a book and flipped to a random page.

A smooth clang ran through both of their ears. Tally peeked back into the room to see a scared Jovie.

The north wind howled outside of the house, knocking over a cup and prompting her mum to yell, 'Curse you, North Wind!".

A buzz rang through her ears, and hers only.

Then the DRAINING began.

Jovie felt something drain from her once again, as it always did. She had the power to manipulate the weather, after all. But she knew it wasn't going to harm anyone. She couldn't let it harm anyone.

The weather itself was tugging at her life essence. Just like it always had. Unlike what Tally had said a while ago, it was a curse, not a blessing.

But now? She couldn't afford to let it take hold of her. She had a choice, and she could fight back.

She took a deep breath and held it in.

  All of a sudden, her mind was scattered into a million pieces. Her eyelids grew slightly heavy and voices whispered from her ears. The weather was taking over her, as she closed her eyes, fighting for control.

"Jov, did you do that?"

She raised her head to look up, her drowsiness pinning her down. Tally was staring at her with big eyes, begging for an answer. Indeed, not even she put her trust in her, for she was a Climatic, a manipulator of the weather.

"I–" Jovie had always hated confrontations. This didn't make it any better.  "Um, well–"

"Tell me, Jov."

She held her breath, trying to stop the draining.

"It's fine. It's all fine." she muttered to her. She's done this a thousand times. Being a Climatic, Jovie had had trouble controlling the weather, and the weather was constantly draining her life force for energy.

Tally looked into her eyes, now more serious than ever. They had done this a thousand times, too. "Jovie, answer me." And every time, Tally was there for her.

Only Tally.

Her world spun in her presence, the materials inside her creeping out to push the weather.

"Answer me!"

Her world closed into darkness.

Word count: 1046