Chapter 4

Chiyo also came to the forest. She was able to easily locate the place because of the crows looming around. There are a lot of them. Their obsidian feathers are a stark contrast to the snow-laden place.

On the way, she was also amazed by the tall pine trees that stood like sentinel. The snow is like a sparkling diamond on its needles because of the sun peeking through the canopy. However, even from afar, the smell of death filled the air. She can already sense it, because no matter how hard the beauty tries to conceal the horror that awaits inside, it cannot hide the truth forever.

She walked deeper, following the crows that are watching her moves. Then her eyes darted to the small creatures that are walking in an orderly manner, each of them carrying a flower, a leaf, or mushroom, preparing for the victim's grave. Chiyo's eyes narrowed. The Koro acting like these means the creature that has died holds an important position in the forest. All of them have already created a very long line, so Chiyo decided to follow them, leading her to the right path until she recognized her husband's back.

"Kai-" Her voice faltered. When her gaze shifted, it immediately landed on the dead body on the ground.

It was a tree spirit.

Long green hair, pointy ears, and a root-like feet that was concealed beneath the long white dress, tattered and bloodied. The woman was killed in cold-blood. Her stomach mangled, insides sticking out, and heart dug out. It was gruesome and horrible, but the serene expression was a paradox to the lifeless body.

She tried to look away but her body refused to move.

Chiyo's breathing then slowed down. It felt like the world turned silent as she could only hear her own heartbeat - fast and rhythmic - slow and ebbing.

It was like a broken metronome.

"Chiyo?" Kaito called. He has just turned around when he felt her presence, but was confused to see her blank face.

And she remained on her spot, unresponsive - still as a water. Memories have flooded her mind like waves crashing dangerously. A memory that was hidden deep inside where it should have remained - forever forgotten.

It was the same back then.

Same wounds, same fate.

Dead and cold - heart missing - serene expression.

As the painful image of the lifeless body collided with her past memory, Chiyo was unable to escape - trapped in between past and present.

"No."

Chiyo stumbled as she gasped for air. The memories dropped to her like a shard of glass, its jagged edges cutting through her painfully - reminding her the deep wounds that will never heal. Reminding her that no matter how hard she tries to forget such memories, the pain will clung to her like a ghost - haunting her forever. Then her vision blurried, gaze unfocused, as she felt herself falling through time, back to that painful night. The night she lost everything she has — betrayal?

"No."

The ache in her chest intensified and she was again catching her breath.

dead and cold - heart dugged out.

"No..."

Chiyo curled into a ball, her hands clutching her chest, then her sobs filled the forest. The trees a silent witness to her cries.

"No." She choked, and felt a cold touch to her face.

Kaito pulled her into his arms and she grabbed onto him like a lifeline, weeping and broken. She buried her face in his chest, her tears soaking his clothes, and he just held her in silence, letting her cry out the sadness that threatened to drown her. She let herself be engulfed with his warmth, finding solace in his embrace. Locking up the pain that wasn't supposed to be there.