Chapter 5

The vermillion Torii gate stood tall and sturdy at the entrance of the Zakura city, its wooden beams weathered by centuries, and cherry blossom trees adorned the pathway, its pale pink petals a beautiful art at the snow-covered cobblestone pathway. At the end of the pathway existed the bustling city where Yokais roamed around blissfully. Shops lined the street, selling a variety of foods, and old objects that are rare and antique.

It was a cold morning and the city is still as lively as ever.

Chiyo wandered around the city delightfully as if nothing happened a while ago. She passed through market stalls and unique shops, then there's also the Blossoms Emporium selling a variety of goods and clothes for the upcoming night parade. At the next corner, the House of Falling Petal was an attraction in the city, the house itself a work of art. Its roof is carved beautifully like a giant cherry blossom, and even from outside the scent of quill and old parchment would enter one's nose. Chiyo continued her ventures through narrow alleys to go at the heart of the city. The snow crunched beneath her boots, and she stopped to peek through the frosty window of a blacksmith shop, the Kappa owner hammering a hot iron on the anvil. There are also different kinds of blade inside, long or short, sturdy and weak, all kinds were there to see.

Then she walked again until she came to the heart of the city. It was pulsing with life. Wooden houses lined up the streets, its roofs folded like origami. From afar, the Jade pagoda rises above rooftops, its green tiles glimmering against the golden rays of the sun, and there, on the distant horizon, one can glimpse at the silhouette of the castle, tall and gargantois, majestic and formidable, it was the oldest structure in the city. Its walls, adorned with intricate carvings of dragons, hides centuries of history and legends in the making.

Chiyo decided to pull her hood to conceal her identity and she passed through a big-headed man sitting on the street and holding a basket of wild berries, his clothes tacky and dirty. Then her footsteps halted right across the Moonlit tavern where a skeleton came out drunk, robes fluttering. He was also laughing maniacally while holding a battle of spiced sake, teeth making a chattering sound as it made contact with each other.

The skeleton almost stumbled on her way so she instinctively evaded him and went directly to the tavern. She pushed open the creaky door, the smell of wood and sake together with the loud noises and laughter greeted her in an instant. It was a busy morning but those who wished to know something would come here often. It is the perfect place to gather intelligence.

Chiyo just stayed at the entrance. It's as if the others were drawn to her mysterious presence — a hooded figure with an aura they cannot discern for she looks both weak and strong at the same time, confusing the onlookers — the room fell silent.

She roamed her eyes around the place where patrons sat huddled together around the table. A group of Oni, red-faced and dark horns, looked at her with wary gazes. On another table, there's a faceless figure wearing a jingasa and a black warrior robe, his sword resting on his lap, across him are dwarfish blue monsters with curvy horns, their noses big and sharp. They all looked at her, observing, wanting to know both the purpose and identity of the hooded figure.

However, nobody dared to make the first move to test the stranger's strength for the tavern has a rule that everyone should know about. The place is a neutral ground — bloodshed and violence is not allowed or the never-seen owner might come for them. Stories has it that once, a Kappa warrior started a fight in the tavern, and all the Yokai involved suddenly died with a string of hair on their necks, blood gushing out.

After that, nobody dared to disobey the tavern rule again.

"What can I help you with, miss?" The hood made a slight movement, Chiyo silently walked to the tavern keeper, pine wood creaking beneath her boots. "Do you want to order something?"

"I seek information." She answered. "A fact gathered from 22 years ago."

"And what can you offer in return?"

"50 golds." The voice was neither too low nor loud, not overbearing or meek, but gazes followed her around. 50 golds is enough to support an average family for years. It was a tempting offer, but paying a high price for a piece of information means that the stakes are also high.

Whatever she wants, it could either cost them nothing or everything.

She slid onto a stool, her cloak rustling, then a bottle of sake was placed on her table. Placing the bag of golds on the table, only one Yokai attempted to take a seat across her. Her movements were fluid and graceful, thin porcelain hands grazed the table with its fingertips as she took the bottle of liquor from Chiyo. The Yokai filled the cup swiftly and offered it to the hooded figure.

"This humble figure may know what you're looking for, stranger." Alluring and sweet, her voice is like a melody that reached their ears. "I've been in too many places, heard of tales and legends, I have seen facts and schemes. It is up to you whether you'll believe my words or not for proofs cannot be gather after a long time."

Chiyo rested her elbow on the table, her hand cupping her chin as her head tilted a little while observing from the hood that's concealing her face. Indeed, the geisha has a beauty that is both flirtatious and innocent. Hair bound by sandalwood pin adorned with a lily flower, it shows the small face and thin neck that accentuate the bright red kimono. With a glance, she can gather the attention of the others — their eyes lingering on her figure. And her gaze, there was something to it that was convincing her to believe. It was all-knowing. It carries wisdom and secrets that are far more older than her.

"A creature that dugs out a heart of a Yokai, 22 years ago the news traveled far and wide. Can you tell me more about it?"

When the others heard about it, they suddenly lost interest. No one wants to hear about that creature for whoever utter its name, curse will be bestowed upon. 50 golds? Although tempting, they'd rather let it go.

But the geisha is different. She has the courage so she still answered her question.

"I know about it. A creature, cunning and wild, its name never utter, and deeds spoken in hushed tones." The geisha started. "There was this tale, a long time ago it was known by lot, but as time goes by, those who knows the full truth died unknowingly."

"Where does it resides?"

"They said it has no permanent home, but it likes being in the dark. It hides for years and only comes out when it is time to feed again."

"What about its appearance?"

"It's appearance I only know little." The geisha answered, her thin eyebrows knitting together as she tried recalling things. "Four arms. Two horns. A cleaver. That's all I can share."

Chiyo narrowed her eyes dangerously, then she tapped her finger on the table to get her attention.

"Aren't you afraid you'll die as well. Uttering the words that no one's willing to, do you wish to be cursed?"

The geisha's red lips formed a small smile. She reached for the gold on the table, hiding it in the pocket of the kimono.

"I am not afraid of it. I am centuries older than it." She walked around her, red lips nearing her ear. "And it is older than you, little girl. Be careful. Those who wished to know everything about it, their curiosity — it was the beginning of their demise. Death, a fate bestowed upon those who seek for that creature."

Baffled, Chiyo turned around to argue but the geisha is no longer there. She looked around the tavern but even the others have stopped watching them — uninterested, they do not like anything to do with the hooded figure anymore. Chiyo was confused when she can't find the woman. She just suddenly vanished and nobody even noticed it.

Was it a ghost geisha?

Probably.

Tsk. Her lips lifted to a smirk. The geisha knows she was offended so it flee after taking the golds. Little girl? Is that what she looks like to her?

Chiyo walked out the door. The information she got is still the same. No words altered nor added, even after so many years the knowledge remained the same. Ever since, she has been looking for that creature too. A long time ago, it killed her family.

No.

It massacred her clan and she was the sole survivor.

The last of her kin.