Ch. 05- Those Without Trust

Happy Easter! <3

It was almost sundown when Irene and Garroth walked back through that iron door. The pair looked resolute and bemused all the same. I watched as she whispered something to her guard before approaching my cell. The echoing sound of the lever clicking open registered in my ears before the sight of her flicking it. "What an interesting decision," I commented offhandedly.

"You've proven, at least to me, that you are telling the truth. While I might not understand it, or trust you, I have no reason to doubt you." She takes a deep, shaking breath after explaining her actions. She looks back down at me for my reaction. My spot on the floor makes her seem taller than she really is which amuses me for a moment.

"Hmm." I stand and brush off my hands and cloak. "You are just as confusing as before, my lady." My strides are slow but confident, and I exit the cell in mere moments, reaching the table with my sword just as quickly. I bare my empty hands to Garroth before picking up my sword and sheathing it, feeling the blade vaporize against my leg.

"I can give you a tour of the place tonight," Irene speaks as she walks around me, her long black hair slightly bouncing with her steps. "It shouldn't take long; there isn't much to show."

"Due to the war against O'Khasis and Scaleswind, correct?"

She pauses with the door ajar, Garroth still next to me with a similar shocked expression. They glance at each other before turning their attention back to me. "Yes... How did you know?"

I follow Aphmau out the door while replying. "Before I knew who you were, I had to be aware of the High Priest's whereabouts and activities. My safety came with the price of keeping track of him." We step out onto the path – worn with age and travel – as Garroth follows close behind me. One in front and one behind to keep me from causing harm.

"How much do you know about what he did here?" Irene begins leading me towards another gate in the distance. I follow close behind, confident I wouldn't lose her but wanting to be as close as the blond behind me would allow.

"I know a great deal. Not due to any of your actions. I was simply trying to figure out what he wanted here." I cleared my throat when the silence closed in again. "Once I figured out it was for the treaty marriage, I kept tabs to ensure he wouldn't succeed in bringing it to fruition."

Garroth made a strange noise behind me, a mixture of concern and gratefulness. "Why not interfere personally?" As she finished, we reached the gate, similar in style to the outer gate – with stone bricks and spruce – but guarded with a little more fervor.

While I'm sure there are more guards on the inside in places I have yet to see, the guards I could see were a young girl and a young boy on top of the wall alongside Dante. The children's eyes widen with fear at the sight of me. Dante, however, seems to have been expecting me.

Given that the others vanished before I was released from my cell, it's likely the people of the village have been warned about me.

The gate begins to open, without much indication as to how someone knew we were here. Laurence steps out from behind a section of the wall that previously covered him from view. He has a similar glare on his face from when we were first "introduced."

"Interference would likely end with more casualties or Zane becoming more... entranced with me than he already is." I pick my words carefully, attempting to convey his thoughts about me in an accurate manner. "Besides, mortal quarrels are not something I interfere with often."

"Mortal?" Laurence asks as he joins our group, standing next to me. Aphmau slows her pace a bit to be more in line with the brunette and me.

I purse my lips. "Mmmm..." I hum. "I likely shouldn't have said that. But yes, mortal."