Ch. 06- Visitor Already?

After dealing with the circus, the rest of the night passed by smoothly, Saintess Helena bolstering the moon's brightness in an attempt to comfort me. I spent a large amount of it with only Laurence as company, Aaron leaving to 'go to his camp' or something like that.

Laurence occasionally asked a few questions, and I would reply in kind, but I would not be the one to initiate any of our 'conversations,' if you could even call them that. Most of the accompanying sound that joined us was nature-filled silence.

When day broke, Laurence was dozing – but not fully asleep – against the tree that Aaron had previously used for cover. I remained where I had sat those long hours ago, looking at the ruins now alive with wildlife.

The door behind me opened with a soft creek of the hinges. Tentative steps against the grass register before I turn and look at Irene.

I stand brushing myself off briefly and then smile gently at her. "My lady," I begin with a small bow, "Good morning. Did you sleep well?"

She nodded slowly. "Yes, I did. Did you sleep... well?" The words seem to catch in her throat as she notices Laurence.

"I don't believe I have ever been able to sleep at night." I chuckled for a moment. "I am rather nocturnal, I am afraid."

Amber tears away from the sleeping man and glances at me before looking at the grass below her feet. "Ah." Aphmau nods in understanding. There is a brief pause. "Do you- um..." She raises her head. "Do you want to join me for breakfast?" She's fidgeting with her fingers.

I hesitate. Then I glance at Laurence. He is 'asleep' but I do not know if he would be all that comfortable with me going into her house. Of course... I don't necessarily want to do everything these other people want. They could forget who I am if I play too nice.

Strengthening my resolve I look back at Aphmau and nod. "Yes, my lady. I would love to." Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Laurence stir at my words, but he doesn't move more than the little shift.

Aphmau turns around and leads me into her home. I glance around, catching sight of a small kitchenette in front of the sleeping bag. There is a small table with enough room for two, maybe three people at the far end of the home. On the wall opposite the kitchenette was a staircase, leading to a presumed second floor.

We took seats opposite of each other. I chose the seat facing the door, keeping my back to a wall. She had a little tea set placed around the table with some bread and jam. As soon as she grabbed a piece of bread and a knife to spread the jam, I grabbed my own piece waiting for the knife.

It is calm and quiet until she passes the knife to me. "So, why did you come to find me after all this time?"

My response came easy – automatic – as I spread the strawberry jam across the slice of bread. "You asked me to. When you initially went into slumber, you asked me to come find you." I took a bite. It's not bad. The bakery she had shown me does indeed make good pastries.

She swallowed what she had in her mouth. "Did it just take you that long to find me? I mean I have been here for a year – ah... nine now I guess."

"Mmm..." I hummed in understanding. Then swallowed before continuing my explanation. "You had asked for me to only find you when your power was back in this world. Meaning I wasn't allowed to find you until you had your relic."

"But then how did you know where I was right away? I had gotten back from Irene's Dimension only about five days before you got here." She tilted her head just a bit, similar to a curious cat.

I chuckled a little. "I had a good friend locate you as soon as the spell to awaken you was completed. I've known where you were since the day you woke up."