So You Can Make Those Expressions

Feeling as every single muscle ceased to move, Asagao's vacant and distant eyes focused in and out of unconsciousness as she just barely felt the warm pool of red liquid coating her entire body ever so slowly.

And though she was merely six years old, the child seemed to be fully aware of what was happening, whether she wanted to or not.

How did it get like this? Oh right, she had failed again. She wasn't able to predict that last planned attack in time and they had punished her for it. How disgraceful. But did that mean she was gonna die this time? No, she didn't want that.

And as the seconds moved by, her tiny body grew more and more numb with the effects of blood loss in order for past orders and demands to flood her mind over and over again like her life was being replayed in a sickening loop.

"You worthless little brat, that's not good enough!"

No, it wasn't. It wasn't good enough, It wasn't ever good enough. She always made them mad. She had disappointed everyone. What would her brother say? Would he also be disgusted by it? The little girl couldn't bear the answer.

"Look harder, predict better, stop slacking off and do it properly!"

She didn't mean to, she wasn't trying to slack off. She was just so tired, so very tired. They had her training for three days straight without food and water. Her focus was off, her brain was overloaded, everything felt like it was underwater. She just couldn't do it anymore. She couldn't think.

"Excuse excuse excuse. That's all I'm hearing! Didn't you say you wanted to be useful? I bet a lot on you kid and if you can't even do this then you're just better off dead!"

Ah, that's right. She was better off dead. Then she'd be able to breathe, then the pounding madness inside her head would finally go away.

But try as she may, the six year old child felt tears work their way into her slowly failing eyes with unexplainable fear. No, she didn't want that. She was scared, she didn't want to die.

Just then, she felt her body shift only for the scenery to change in order for the girl to catch a very familiar blur of red as his hands shook under her hold. "A-Asa? No, please no.."

Wait, she knew that voice anywhere. "B-Brother?"

Sakunosuke only nodded though, trying to hold himself together as he brushed a bloody piece of hair from her face. "Y-Yeah, it's me. It's your big brother. Don't worry Asa, it's going to be okay. I'm gonna get you out of here."

But as she felt her brother's hands keeping her together, Asagao felt even more tears reach her eyes in order to weakly clutch onto his jacket with a sad pathetic plea. "Saku, I don't wanna be special anymore. I don't wanna see. It hurts..I don't want it to hurt.."

She then heard what sounded like a suppressed sob, the fourteen year old Oda pushing his lips together as they quivered before holding his little sister close to his chest with a cry. "I know..I know..don't worry you won't have to do that again. I just need you to stay awake though, okay? You can't go to sleep yet."

Asa felt her eyelets quickly betray his order though, her hand falling from his jacket as she whispered hoarsely. "But I'm so tired.."

Quickly shaking her back awake, Sakunosuke gave a rushed reply, laced with a desperation she couldn't place. "I know but do this for me, okay? Do it for your big brother."

But her eyes were so heavy, wouldn't it be nice to just rest them for a minute, the little girl humming as she felt her body give into the idea. "I can't feel anything...I'm scared..so many bad things happened. I'm sorry.."