𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖: 𝐃𝐚𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐞𝐝

《 ੈ✩‧₊˚ ˊˎ- 𝐖𝐨𝐨𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐠'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕  》

The car door slams shut, my eyes trailing to look at the front door of the mansion I was temporarily leaving behind. It would only be for the day, but my mind had been a complete whirl of emotions; one that I hardly understood.

Seonghwa was sending Hyunjin and I out on some type of mission in search of some package he was expecting to steal. The group withholding the package had been of lower ranking, a mere pest in Seonghwa's conquest for the hypothetical throne. I didn't bother to question what the exact package was nor what it contained, but I would admit, it did spark a flutter of curiosity.

I hadn't been on a mission in a long time, Minho avoiding sending me anywhere because of the state I had been in. I mostly did inner city work, driving Minho and Jisung to jobs and patrolling our territory with Yeonjun, remaining low and out of sight, likely to avoid drawing attention towards the mound of illegal activities Jisung had been orchestrating.

"Ready?" Hyunjin muses, settled into the driver's seat. His presence was comforting, our friendship having only become really close in the time after my injury. He was a constant source of light amidst my ever present darkness, keeping a watchful eye over me, one that he acted upon from his own will rather than San's doting command.

"As I'll ever be," I murmur, glancing away from the window to look at Hyunjin with a slight smile. "I'm just worried about Sannie, I guess."

"There's no reason to worry about him," Hyunjin breathes, hesitating for a moment as he looks at the steering wheel, but continuing regardless with a noncommittal shrug. "He's going to be fine here. He's with Seonghwa and Hongjoong, he's perfectly fine."

"No, I don't mean like physically," I attest, leaning back into my seat. "I just mean that we spent so long apart, that I don't want him to panic that something will happen to me out here, with you. This mission, this opportunity means a lot to me, and I want to impress Seonghwa. I can't help but worry that he might be overly worried about me."

"Truthfully, Woonie, he's going to worry regardless. That's your stubborn ass boyfriend in that house we're talking about," Hyunjin glances at me again, a knowing smirk glazing over his lips. "I can't even get through his thick ass skull sometimes. He might listen to you more than me, but just trust that he's safe and that he's around people who know him really well."

With a sigh, I try to leave the conversation alone, knowing that I'd purely spiral myself into a whirlwind of thoughts that I'd like to avoid. This first sense of space between us had been scary, if only slightly, but I knew that this was best for us. We had jobs to do and positions to maintain, fellow members of the Drifters counting on us to resume our normal tasks, even amidst our rebuilt relationship.

The drive to the private airport had been short, a few twists and turns through the city as Hyunjin avoided the sightline of police, guiding us safely into a secluded hangar of the airport, a dark black private jet fueled and rumbling, waiting for its passengers.