The Fallen VI

Howdy and welcome back to the Fallen and welcome to the longest chapter so far! Chapter II is now second place in length. Anyway, I'm happy with the chapter but I do feel as if some parts may be a bit wonky at least the dialogue-heavy bits and I would like some reviews on those to see if I'm crazy or not but otherwise I hope you enjoy.

The truck jostled as it moved over a large bump in the dirt road but Raven Branwen wasn't affected by it, she had long grown used to it since the tribe had obtained these old Mantel transports. The trucks were meant to take a beating and keep on moving, the grill of the truck had a ram built onto it to clear Grimm or obstacles in its path. It was the perfect vehicle to haul the spoils of a raid home.

But today it wasn't being used for that purpose and instead was filled with cargo meant for trading.

The Bandit Tribes of Anima had a code amongst themselves, not to fuck with each other or the whole would come down on them. It was meant to keep the tribes strong so the outsiders could be kicked to the curb. Specifically, the crime families of Mistral who had attempted to push in on the turf.

The Branwens were the top dog of the tribes and could get away with more than the other ones could but that didn't mean they left the code behind. Raven wasn't stupid, the tribe was strong as that was the mentality of the Branwen's, but even a strong person could eventually be overwhelmed by numbers.

The other Bandit Tribes had those numbers. The Branwens did not.

So here they were heading toward another tribe to trade extra food for money. Though Raven was admittedly wary of the tribe they were heading to, not because they were powerful or anything really special, she just felt something was off about them.

Her suspicions were raised at the moment because the tribe had been dark for the last couple of weeks before suddenly contacting the Branwens for a trade. They wanted food and were willing to give the Branwens the spoils of a raid they'd recently completed.

Now this usually wouldn't have raised her suspicions that much, tribes went radio silent on occasion. The problem was the rumors she'd been hearing from other tribes trading with the Branwens. The very tribe they were going to may have merged with another.

That was a very rare thing to happen within the bandit tribes. Each tribe had differences within their internal culture, the Branwens having a strength overall mentallity for example. One of the tribes was more militaristic and focused more on stability. Another preferred taking the people they pillaged, specifically women.

These cultures would clash against each other and cause tension, not enough to start a fight but enough to make the other more likely to avoid the other. Two tribes joining together meant they had similar cultures. Similar mentalities.

The last time something like this had happened she'd been a child within the tribe along with her brother. The tribes that joined together became a threat to the code and were destroyed, their resources being split between the victorious tribes.

In short, she didn't trust it. Raven had only agreed to the trade so she could get an idea of what was going on with the tribe and learn about their customs to see why they merged. For now, she'd just rest her head back on the leather seat-

"Aw shit."

-or not.

Raven opened an eye to look at the man driving the truck. A tall lean man with dirty blond hair and a poor attempt at a beard. This was Shay D. Mann, a young man who she'd been keeping an eye on since he fucked up on an earlier raid.

That didn't mean he was bad at what he did, he simply made a rookie mistake. You don't turn your eyes from the hostages as when in a time of extreme crisis people tend to get far more bold than one would think.