III. UH OH CAPTURE THE FLAG ENDS A DOG

CHAPTER THREE
uh oh capture the flag ends a dog

CHAPTER THREEuh oh capture the flag ends a dog

"HERE'S OUR GAME PLAN: WE DO NOTHING

"HERE'S OUR GAME PLAN: WE DO NOTHING." Leia gave Ethan a confused look as the pair huddled away from everyone else. They didn't exactly have the precision of an Athena kid to make war strategies for Capture the Flag, so they just sat around and waited for the grey eyed kids to finally reveal their 'Oh so great' (and probably stupid) plan. "What? I think it's an excellent plan."

Leia crossed her arms over her chest. "So we're basically gonna be useless."

"Precisely."

Leia shrugged, not disagreeing with his idea simply because she found Capture the Flag annoying. The Ares kids always used it as an excuse to wound any poor soul they wanted and the Athena kids used it to pretend to be their mother's perfect owls. These kids were searching for their own Kleos with fake battles.

"Sure."

The pair turned to face forward when Chiron hammered his hoof on the marble ground. Everyone's excited chattering came to a halt. "Heroes!" Some kids cheered, only stopping when Chiron cleared his throat. "You know the rules. The creek is the boundary line. The entire forest is fair game. All magic items are allowed. The banner must be prominently displayed, and have no more than two guards. Prisoners may be disarmed, but may not be bound or gagged. No killing or maiming is allowed. I will serve as referee and battlefield medic. Arm yourselves!" He spread his hands, and the tables were suddenly covered with equipment: helmets, bronze swords, spears, oxhide shields coated in metal.

Leia turned to Ethan with a grin. "What're we grabbing?"

"I thought we weren't-" She shook her head, her eyes darting to the people surrounding them. He got the message fairly quickly. "Right, bows?"

Of course, that meant they were doing their usual: climbing a tree by the creek and waiting for one of the other teams to claim their oh so beloved Kleos.

Ethan held onto his trusted dagger, the one from all those years ago he apparently received from his mother, and pocketed it. "Just in case." He mouthed to Leia, who nodded in understanding. He must have had a bad feeling, like when he knows something won't go how it should. Leia long learnt to not question these feelings. There are some things even Ethan cannot explain.