Chapter II - Returning to America

"Sorry if that's a bit blunt, but I am having a bit of an existential crisis at the moment. Um, I mean at the moment." There is silence between us for a few moments as I lean my head back and close my eyes for a few seconds, revelling in the moment as the thumping from the engines sends subtle vibrations through the whole plane.

Rhodey started to talk, but I interrupted them and said, "Rhodey, I was simply spit-balling. You are my friend, and I trust you with my life. I just have some issues at the moment." In response, Rhodey looked at his watch and said, "We'll be landing soon; get some rest and relax."

I just nodded and said, "Apparently the best way to help prevent PTSD is to do positive things afterward with people close to you. So we are going to a restaurant as soon as we land."

"Are you sure you shouldn't go to the hospital? I mean, the medic said you were fine, but still, you have a glowing chest. What is that anyway?" He said this while gesturing to my chest. I looked down at the iconic symbol of Tony Stark and said, "Oh, that. It's a micro-sized fusion-arc-powered zero-point reactor, powering an electromagnet, which is keeping several pieces of shrapnel from entering my heart, or, in other words, my so-called 9th symphony."

While Rhodey had gone to Mit, he barely got what I had said but decided to ask more later. He then lent back in his seat and prepared for landing as I felt the plane descend.

I stepped off the plane, and I limped straight towards Pepper and Happy when I saw them. Rhodey was pushing a cart carrying the random bits of junk that were the Mark I under a tarp. Two guys then began to load it onto a pickup truck that had the Stark Industries logo on it.

As I approached Pepper, I noticed a tear running down her face. "Is that a tear I see?" I said it with a cheeky smirk. She just smiled and wiped the tear off her cheek and said, "No, I was just happy not having to look for a new job."

I just laughed and then walked over and hugged Happy, with him eagerly returning the embrace. After that, we all got into the car, and Pepper said, "Hospital."

"Burger!" I said over her voice as the car drove off.

"No, you're going to the hospital!" said Pepper in a firm voice. I just smiled and said, "Pepper, I will go to the hospital, not today. I have been kept a prisoner for weeks and have almost died multiple times. I want a fucking burger." After my words, she seemed to give up, realising I had made up my mind.

I just laid my head back on the car seat as the car continued to glide down the roads of L.A. We entered the Burger King, and I ended up eating several whoppers. I knew I could go into shock since my stomach had been starved, but I couldn't care less. Also, British ones are better; in fact, if my memory serves me right, most food was of better quality across the pond in Europe than here, for the most part anyway.

I ended up signing several autographs as people recognised me, and I was half way through another burger when a FOX news van pulled up. I struggled not to lose my eyes as they attempted to roll out of my head and got up and left the restaurant.

I bit the burger as a huge camera was pushed in my face, and a flurry of questions was asked by a thirty-ish man, whom I ignored until I got to the car. I then looked at the reporter and said, "There will be a press conference in a few weeks, and you can get the first question. Have a nice day."

Once we had arrived at Stark Industries Headquarters, I asked to be left alone and then headed to my office there. "Hey Jarvis." I called out, and a glass screen popped up as I heard the AI respond, "Good afternoon, Tony. It is good to see you again."

"You didn't miss me." I said in a pouty voice as I slumped into my chair, which caused me to let out an audible wince as it pinched the nerve in my dislocated shoulder. In response, he just said, "Unfortunately, I am unable to experience emotions."