𖦹 ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ- 01 𖦹

Playlist: https://spotify

Playlist: https://spotify.link/yXWMeIY5KIb

The car ride was silent

The car ride was silent. I exchanged no greeting with him and he didn't do much either except glancing at the windows and watching the rain outside.

There was no music in the car, all I heard were news headlines. No wonder he was a business man. So obsessed with keeping himself updated. Rachel won't like him at all. I smirked as I imagined him standing there while Rachel threw a fuss. Business men had fragile ego. And I knew this man was going to have his pride broken.

The car stopped at our mansion and the guards cam over. The windows rolled down automatically and the guards having seen my face, let us in. After dropping us at the porch, the car went to a farther distance. His assistant however joined us.

I went into the mansion and I saw my father discussing something with Rick and Rachel. Mother didn't say anything but silently observed the discretion of the conversation. I was surprised to see Rick. Didn't he have an urgent business to attend to? Was that urgent business he mentioned, my father?

Dad stood up and his he was cheerful. I guess the marriage talks had got successful. Rachel might have liked him then. There was no way she was going to marry someone she didn't love. But she seemed far more calm than I had ever seen her.

"How do you like him?" Dad asked me. I guess I was the older sister and this man also needed my approval to marry my sister.

He was rich. He was a gentle man. Though quiet, it might be because he had a lot on his mind. He might not decline anything to Rachel. He won't get angry too easily either. That did seem good enough.

"He is okay, I guess? If Rachel is fine, what does that have anything to do with me?" I shrugged. The man frowned a bit but then went back to his indifferent mode.

Dad exchanged a long glance at Rachel and Rick. What was that about? I wondered. Rick sighed in relief but Rachel was smirking. Maybe she did love the man. Well, that was unexpected.

"Then I assume you like him?" Dad pressed the question again. I didn't understand why he kept insisting. Was he, perhaps, signaling me to find a fault? Was this marriage not in his interest?

Had Rachel brought the man of her own accord? That was weird. She would've told me if she was seeing someone.

"Um, shouldn't you be asking Rachel? She is going to stay with him after all. Why do you keep asking me?" I asked irritated. What was going on? Why were these people acting like this?

"Why should your sister stay with him when you are the one marrying him?" Mother broke her silence. It was then that I noticed her red eyes. I noticed how dad was convincing me. I noticed why Rick was sweating and I noticed why Rachel who was always chattering so silent. And calm.

I leaned in to the man beside me.

"What's the date today?" I whispered fiercely.

"March 28, why?" He said in a normal voice that startled me. Though I hadn't expected him to whisper like me, I hadn't expected him to be totally nonchalant to the tensed atmosphere.

"Are we celebrating an April Fool's day in advance? Because I am not really fond of this kind of joke." Hah! Got them! None of them moved a muscle. No one said anything. They were all looking at me. No. Observing me. As if waiting for something to happen.

And with a shudder, I realized they were serious.

"This is some sick joke, isn't it? Please tell me you are kidding." I gasped. Rachel chuckled softly as she approached me.

"I think sis needs some time, daddy. I told you telling this to her now was a bad idea." She kept smirking. "We should have told her when it first happened."

"Rachel, this isn't funny. What do you mean? What happened before? What do you mean I need time? I need time for what?" I asked, grabbing her shoulders. I saw Rick advancing a bit but stopped when I noticed him. He looked...worried. For her.

Rachel held her hand up proudly. And in two of her fingers, she held a white...chemical strip. It had two red lines. One prominent and one a bit faded. I was seeing something I shouldn't. But I couldn't blink. It felt like the worst nightmare. For some reason I kept feeling uneasy. Almost ominous.

Calm before the storm.

"Rick has to take responsibility for something he did, shouldn't he?" She smiled like an angel.