Chapter 1 - Day ???

WARNING! PLEASE READ!

This is written before any solid lore is out and the game is still new. It also contains graphic details, possibly mild gore, maybe smut, and slight toxic behavior as well as stalking and physical assault. This is sort of a slow burn but not too slow. Do not read if you're uncomfortable.

As for the original artist of the fanart of Francis Mosses, his TikTok account is tagged by himself on the art. Just click the cover and zoom in to see it.

The only thing I made was the cover, nothing else.

New day, new job.

It's been 2 weeks since you were moved to the area you are in now as an undercover agent, and exactly one month since you graduated from the training program the D.D.D offered you.

Unlike the usual department that effectively deals with exterminations, or cleanings upon call, you were offered the position to work as an undercover agent in an area that needed supervision, your supervision.

It was better than you expected, honestly. You knew your sister worked in the extermination department as she'd call you every day to tell you that she was fine and hadn't been replaced yet, so obviously you thought everything would be fine. It was a thing that became a habit and it reassured you that things really were well on her end.

Well.

That's what you thought.

One night, after coming back from your afternoon shift at the grocery store you received a call from your sister, announcing that she'd be visiting you, but you could tell something was off based on the tone of her voice.

Confused but more worried, you called the doorman of your apartment building to let him know, and soon enough, your sister came, but by the time she reached your door, she looked at you almost hysterically, with heavy dark bags under her eyes and greasy short hair that looked like it hasn't been washed in weeks. You remember thinking that she looked way older than 21 at the time and she was your twin!

Needless to say, you were very worried, especially when she started muttering about things you didn't quite understand, but one thing she made clear was that should she ever disappear, you don't look for her and never, ever, let yourself be a meal to the doppelgangers.

You understood the not dying part, but not look for her? You'd go to the end of the Earth for her and rip any monster out there to shreds if they tried stopping you.

She disappeared that night, ignoring your attempts to stop her. The only thing she left behind was an old pocket watch with the company's logo imprinted on the back.

That was a year ago, a year which you spent multiple nights staring at the object while you were busy gaining yourself the position you have now. A newby in the Field Research department, short of F.R for the D.D.D, and you were assigned your first area ever, tasked with keeping a daily journal with information on all your neighbors, all while keeping an eye on them and for anyone who enters the building.

It all worked well, in the end.

"Here, kid. Now stop looking so gloomy."

You catch the key thrown at you in an instant, looking at the older man with surprise.

"I'm surprised they even found a replacement for me as fast as they did." He says in a rough voice.

Ben Danville, the old gentleman you're replacing is moving places and changing his career path.

"Mhm! I know, right? I was surprised they even took me in." You smile at him, deciding to put on a polite act.

Mister Danville shakes his head as he stops just outside the glass doors at the entrance, then looks over his shoulder.

"It's such a shame, too. I don't know what kind of nutjob you gotta be to take on a dangerous job like this. If you were older, then I'd understand you wanna go down faster, but your age? You should quit before you find yourself killed and get yourself a husband. Or wife. Or pet, whatever. I don't give a fuck anymore, I'm not risking my life over this any longer."

And with that, the blond gentleman is out the door, leaving you with the key to heavy metal doors. Next to it there's a pad, in which you insert the key and open the lock.

You were already familiar with the protocol, having it being explained to you in your training.

Open the pad with the key, put in the right combination and number so that the gate unlocks itself, enter, push the button on the other side to close it back up using the same key, and then use your second pair to unlock the door to your office.

As soon as you enter the office, you close the door and sigh deeply, finally relaxing your facial muscles.

"Huh, that was a lot harder than I thought."

While you were not particularly good at acting, you weren't bad at it either. Instead, you used your slip-ups to your advantage to build your undercover personality.

Having this as your first assignment ever was not helping with your anxiety and the fact that you have to pay attention to details and also fight your way out in case you get attacked was an added minus.

Nevertheless, you did have your trusty knife and a polearm disguised as a broom.

You'd have to bring the polearm down from your apartment later.

It's your first time in this office, the old desk and chair are the first things you see, propped in front of the thick reinforced window, which is now covered in metal, signifying that the shift is over and nobody is there to open the door.

To the left, there's a calendar with the expiration date for the documents you will be reviewing during your stay here, down right next to it is the red famous button encased in glass. And not to forget, the list of people which you will be expecting today as well as the phone number for the cleaning department of D.D.D.

On the right side, there's nothing more but the files containing some basic information about each resident of the building.

As for the desk, there's a corded phone and two big buttons to manually unlock and lock the metal doors of the apartment hall. And in the middle of it is your very own dark blue uniform and hat with big letters stamped on it. "Doorman" in a plain simple font.

You take out the pocket watch from your jacket and open the metal lid.

Time is 05:54

Just 6 more minutes until the start of your first official shift.

Groaning, you put the watch on the table and snatch the uniform off from the table. It consists of a single piece, a thin coat, similar to what doctors wear, and your hat. It is what you requested, after all.

You feel much more comfortable in your clothes so only having to put on a coat and a hat for your uniform sounds like a good deal to you.

Then, you plop down on the chair, and with a push of a button next to the entrance door, the generator sparks to life and the metal blinds lift themselves slowly but surely.

Your hands are coated in cold sweat from your nerves. You can't help but think about this with a serious look on your face, the 1 year training, the disappearance of your twin sister, and the reason why you're doing all of this in the first place.

Time is 06:00

Your shift started.

I will find her, even if that kills me.