Chapter 4 - Day 1

Attention was not your intention. But oh well, we can't always get what we want, can we?

You press the red button and prepare yourself to sit there and listen for quite a while. The alarms immediately blast loudly inside the building and the lights go off in the hall. 

The sound of a fist slamming against the glass brings your attention to the monster on the other side.

"Look at me, you foolish creature! I will break this glass and devour you, then I will go for your neighbors, and by the time they're here it won't matter anymore."

It laughs in a deep cracking voice, an ugly sound that scratches your ears unpleasantly. You grimace. "You can talk trash all you want. But I was trained to kill things like you, so come at me if you want to die faster."

Your lack of fear enrages it deeply and you'd be lying if you said it didn't move you even a bit. However, it wasn't enough to throw you off and make you lose yourself to fear.

It slams its fist against the glass, and it cracks.

Another slam and the crack widens considerably.

As you continue to watch it, you move your hand slowly down between your thighs until you feel the bump of your hidden pocket.

Its hand moves so fast that it hits the glass with incredible precision and strength. It shatters completely, sending sharp shards your way and you shut your eyes tightly to avoid possibly getting your eyes cut.

The hand continues to go through and reaches to grab the front of your collar. Instinctively, you grab the pocket knife and flip it open just as the doppelganger leans over the glass. You open your eyes to see numerous rows of sharp teeth staring right back at you, green scaly skin, and exposed muscle. You don't even realize how fast your hand moves and stabs deep into the monster's own limb. The crunch is loud as the blade cuts through tendons, and muscles, hitting the bone and lodging itself in it.

As soon as the clear substance of the knife touches its flesh, it lets go of your arm with an ear-splitting scream that nearly makes your ears stop functioning. It retracts the arm back, freeing the knife in the process. The monster shapeshifts into more neighbors of yours. Gloria, Anastacha, Mr. Afton, Francis, and more people you don't recognize.

The red light makes it hard for you to see what's happening exactly, but you know you have to make it quick before it recovers from poison. As for now, you're pleased to see it craze over the wound you have created. You jump straight up from your seat and slash another one cut right over its eyes, reducing its visibility considerably.

"Ꮍꗞꚶ ᗫĬꕷǤꚶꕷꞆĬᙁǤ ᖘᕔꞆꗛꞆዛĬᙅ ᙅɌꗛᕔꞆꚶɌꗛ! Ĭ ᙡĬԸԸ ꗛᙁᗫ Ꮍꗞꚶ!"

For a split second, you're surprised. You've never heard them speak another language and your job sure didn't teach you about it.

"Stop yapping. I will make it quick."

"NO!" It wobbles on its feet. At this point, it's considerably taller than you, but as long as you've got your weapons at your side, there's nothing it can do to you but a few scratches.

"Yes. And based on how little control you have over your shapeshifting, I'm guessing you're just a new fledging, am I right?" You move the desk to the side to have better access to the monster and it pushes itself away from the broken window, hissing when most of the glass proceeds to imbed themselves inside. The only visible eye watches you, wide open and crazed.