Chapter 2 - Day 1

Meet your new neighbors! They are interesting.

Your peace of mind didn't last long. As soon as the window is clear you're met with yellow.

A lot of yellow.

You almost flinch in surprise, then you realize that it's just a person in a yellow suit, one that you've seen before plenty of times, including on your sister.

"Good morning."

You take another look at them before you put on a smile. "Good morning. Can I help you?"

"I'm here to make sure you received the conduct manual along with all the steps you need to take to do this job properly."

You remember Ben telling you to look into the desk for those, so you pull the drawer open and grab the document. You raise them for the person to see.

In all honesty, you believe that letting personally untrained, foolish people do this job should be a crime. Who cares about safety if all the training they ever receive is from a book?

You decide to keep these thoughts to yourself for now and nod.

"Yeah, I got it. I'll read it as soon as possible."

The person underneath the suit nods, although you can barely tell, and then steps away from the glass. You put them back into the drawer and close it back up.

"Good. A word of advice- make sure to follow the steps and pay attention to details. You don't want to get your neighbors killed by calling us on them, or by letting those monsters in." They spit the word with disgust.

You think back at the list. Every single floor is occupied, including the attic in which you reside, except for the ground floor which consists of the entire lobby, your office, a communal laundry room, and a decently sized storage room.

You don't count the bathroom which can only be accessed through your office or the small closet space which is barely enough to fit in the electric stuff.

As for the boiler room, it doesn't exist. You know from the building plan you were provided with before moving in that the boiler is inside the storage room, probably for the best. You don't want anything wet to reside anywhere near the electric parts.

"Anyway, you will probably have to memorize them and to do that you have to stay alive. That's all I'm going to say. Stay out of trouble, lady."

The D.D.D personnel leaves the front of the window, not waiting for you to say anything back to them and just like that, you're alone once again.

Thinking about what that person said made you want to check out the floor files.

You lean over the desk and take out each folder and spread them on the surface.

"Let's see... First floor."

When you open the file, you're met with 7 different faces, young and old, their ID, apartment phone number, and their occupation. Next to each of their pictures, there's handwritten extra information.

"Long neck... Wears a hat? Small eyes..." Then you realize that what you're reading are the things the previous doormen have noticed about them to be true before they all probably died, except for the one before you. The man probably lasted the longest until today when he took his leave.

"Angus Ciprianni... Sounds Italian to me."

You take a few more looks at the other residents on the 1st floor, then close the file and open the second one.