Chapter 3 - Day 1

We're sorry, but doppelgangers are not allowed in.

It's one hour later when more neighbors seem to have woken up one by one to leave the building for whatever they have to do. So far, you've met everyone else but the housewives, the eldest of the Rudboys, the twins, and the milkman, despite being a working day of the week.

"That boy has been acting strange lately." A feminine voice echoes.

Your ears barely catch onto the conversation happening right on the other side of your office door.

"He's fine. You don't need to worry so much about him. He's a man now."

You try your best to ignore them, however the voices grow closer to your door, so close you have the impression they are intentionally hiding around your office door.

"He's not 16 anymore, Rafttellyn."

"I know, but he's been very quiet lately."

"He's been quiet ever since he was a boy, young and stupid."

"Not with us, Gloria, not with us. Remember when we were his age?"

A scoff.

"Yes, yes. His parents left him in the apartment and he inherited his grandmother's after she passed away."

"I'm glad those two weren't included in the will. Francis deserved everything. His father and mother were horrible to us. I'm glad Francis did not take after them."

You raise your eyebrow.

Huh, so these two have known each other for decades. And this Francis... Wasn't he the milkman around here? What's up with him? Why is she so worried about him?

To some degree, the information you just learned is useful. The more you know about your neighbors, the easier it will be to identify the real one.

On the other hand, it could easily backfire into overwhelming you. You don't want to know every single damn thing there is about your neighbors, now do you?

"Why is he being more quiet anyway?"

"He always greets me in the morning when going to work. Today he did not."

You furrow your eyebrows and look ahead, confused.

Did she say this morning? But I didn't see him or hear him... Maybe it was before my shift started?

The possibility was there, but perhaps their conversation would give you a reason to keep an eye on him.

When you can't hear their conversation anymore but you hear the metal door opening you know they are coming your way.

The meeting was short, they told you they were going shopping, checked with you on the list and then went on and about their business. They were nowhere near as excited meeting you as the other women were, except for that student. It was refreshing.

"Uh.. Hi."

Well, well, well. If it isn't the man of the hour!

Before you stands the stoic Francis Mosses. His uniform and hair is just slightly wet, leaving you to guess that it just started raining not long ago. As a result, his white work shirt tends to stick tighter on his skin.

"Morning, sir."

He says nothing while coming closer to the window and takes a deep breath. He digs into his pocket and slides his ID and entry request through the opening.