| chapter twenty |

"And 100, 200, 300, 400

"And 100, 200, 300, 400. With all this, that's $82,400." Stu counts the money Alan made from the card counting at the casino as we all cheer. I ruffle Alan's hair as he blushes with a big smile.

"Oh, goddamn it. I don't fucking believe it." Phil whoops as he drives. "Alan, you're the man!" He laughs loudly, smiling at Alan through the mirror.

"You are too, Phil," Alan says bashfully, still bright red from all the praise he's getting.

Phil lets out a content sigh. "We should come back next week, take the whole city down." I laugh, shaking my head, I love Vegas, but after all this trouble, home sounded better by the minute.

"Oh, I'm free next week." Alan pipes up with a hopeful expression.

Stu turns in his seat with a semi-stern look. "Or we could just focus on getting Doug back right now."

"As much fun as that sounds, I agree with Stu. Wow, I never thought I'd say that out loud." I tease him with a playful smile. "I must be getting dehydrated from the desert air."

"Uh, you know what? Next week's no good. The Jonas Brothers are in town, but any week after that is totally fine." Alan says as Stu and I look at him with varying expressions.

"Who?" I ask as Alan gives a dramatic gasp and, for the first time ever, looks pretty disappointed in me.

"I think it's safe to say that our luck has officially turned around, guys." Phil cuts over Alan's 'breakdown' over my not knowing who the Jonas brothers are.

"Let's just give the small man his money and get the hell back to L.A. I'm the maid of honor; I should be home by now telling Tracy all the downfalls of marriage while also making sure she doesn't get cold feet," I say, leaning over to look at Phil.

"Don't worry, Lex. We'll get there. We'll get Doug back, and within a few hours, you'll be sipping on champagne doing your duties." Phil smiles at me, his blue eyes shining in amusement.

"That's right. We are getting Doug back." Stu begins singing excitedly as he pats my hand. I sit back in my seat just as Alan starts to sing too.

♪ And you're the three best friends that anybody could have. You're the three best friends that anyone could have. You're the three best friends that anyone can have. And we'll never, ever, ever, ever, ever leave each other. ♪

He stops to take a deep breath as Stu, Phil, and I exchange looks as Alan starts up his song again.

♪ You're the best three friends that anybody could have. I mean, the three best friends that I could ever have. That's right, the three best friends that I can have... ♪

After a long drive, we stopped a few feet from the SUV that those guys had smashed into us earlier. The same one where he had Doug with that stupid bag over his head.