14 - Defense

"Run!" Laika shouted.

"I am!" Afore shouted right back, eyes and teeth flashing white. The rope swung between them. They sprinted like hell, kicking up dirt and pumping legs harder than ever before, tongues out. Breathing became hard, their bodies on fire, fuelled by pure adrenaline and shaking, pounding fear.

"We can't run this way," Laika said over the noise, "We will run right into Veal Tribe!"

"We can't turn around!" Afore was exasperated.

"We have to run around them!" Laika led the sprint and began to angle left. As per the rope, Afore followed with pounding, rushing speed.

"We can't outrun a whole pack!" Afore hollered, breathless.

"We have to!"

The two sprinted, pounding hearts, to the left through the woods, veering. A group of dogs gave quick chase.

Then, the swinging rope between the two drug on the forest floor, catching on brambles and leaves; Afore sprinted, the tug at his neck and pelt, and then tripped over the heavy rope, spinning and falling flat on his jaw with a sharp pain and a slew of dirt. He tumbled and landed on his side in the dirt. The rope tugged Laika back and she skittered, forced backwards by the sudden movement, and stumbled as well, falling onto her back with a heave, legs in the air. The wind was knocked from her lungs and, for a painful moment, she suffocated.

In seconds, the group of dogs was upon them. Of Jall Tribe, a group of 5 or 6 dogs had given chase to Afore and Laika. One of the canines was a familiar, conniving coyote. The group of dogs raced upon them, teeth bared and excited tails wagging. Afore rolled over and stood quickly to face incoming canines, brown leaves clinging to his thick pelt. Charging at him was a large red and white Akita, a thick coat, large face, and curled tail, teeth bared. It bounded at him with heavy steps and then pounced upon him with a snarl, bowling Afore over and knocking the breath from his lungs. He gasped loudly as he once again hit the forest floor, pounding, pulsating pain creeping through his back, legs, and head. He was sore all over, aching with exhaustion, but pumped with adrenaline and fear rush and strong energy.

The red Akita leapt upon Afore as he struggled on the forest floor, teeth bared. They batted like cats with paws and claws, teeth flashing and touching, snarling ferociously on both sides. Afore was naturally much stronger than the smaller dog, and with a strong push of his hind legs, he overpowered the Akita and pushed it to the ground, standing up himself. Afore pinned the Akita to the forest floor, who cried out and batted with his paws at Afore's face. One paw hit Afore's snout, stinging with small scratches, and then lifted his lip; he swiftly moved his head and bit the paw, crunching it beneath his jaws. He felt the bones shatter beneath his teeth, and the dog beneath him cried out in agony. Afore jumped away from the dog, who writhed in pain in the dirt, and followed his rope leash with only one thought in mind. Find Laika.

The leash tugged against his throat and he followed its force. The small crowd surrounded him and Laika. Beside him, Laika was pummelled by a large Anatolian shepherd, a huge cream dog with a thick hide, short dark ears, and a capable build. He bowled into her and she flew, landing and then rolling across the floor. The leash rolled in waves between them and pulled Afore forward with force, which he obliged with speed.

He watched wide-eyed in horror as the Anatolian Shepherd overtook and stood over Laika, fangs bared behind loose chops. She cried out. A high-pitched, desperate cry, like that of a coyote or fox. Afore could feel his body ignite with heat, every single hair stand on end, his tail slowly beginning to rise. A deep growl escaped his throat, and in a flash, he was racing towards that stupid, big dog.

The Anatolian shepherd was larger than he was, but the wolf's power and rage was still no match for him. Afore jumped upon the shepherd, teeth aiming perfectly and straight for the throat; he bit hard and refused to let go, letting his fangs sink into thick coat and then into flesh. He allowed his strong jaws to tighten and crush what was beneath them.

The Anatolian shepherd yelped, shaking, falling to the ground beside a frightened Laika who watched, frozen, with wide eyes as Afore easily took down a dog that was even larger than he was. With a strong hold of his throat, the dog's cry grew raspy, blood began to flow and stain, and soon, the Anatolian shepherd was dead. It had all happened quickly. Rippling scarlet gleamed against the forest floor, smeared across cream fur and the wolf's agouti pelt.

Another, then; a kangal leapt ahead and nipped at Laika's tail, which Afore would absolutely not take, and he leapt upon him as well, fast as lightning. The kangal roared and snarled, thrashing away, but Afore kept his teeth locked on the side of his neck, forcing through fur and flesh. His forelegs wrapped around the sides of the kangal and the wolf managed to hold him steady this way. Blood began to spurt from the huge dog's throat, and he, too, collapsed beneath the wolf, going limp. Afore stood up straight, heart pounding, forcing down what he believed was bile growing in his throat. He licked his chops. He was hot, breathing heavily, and now crimson dribbled from his mouth and splattered on the forest floor in small, scattered droplets.

Laika still laid in the dirt on her back, tail tucked and ears back and legs curled close to her chest, completely submissive. Completely terrified. She had truly seen him for what he was, and perhaps for the first time. Still, it was an epiphany that she hadn't comprehended just yet; to not see a wolf as a dog, but to see a wolf as a wolf, and to be unafraid and kind regardless. In that moment, however, Laika was merely frozen and blank with fear and dread. Her heart seemed to beat out of her chest.

Afore snarled as the rest of the dogs circled them, snapping and taunting and waiting for a moment to strike. Still, Afore knew that familiar smell, that familiar quake. The taste of blood in his jaws, and he knew that every one of these dogs were deathly afraid of him. Even Laika.

But that didn't matter now. None of it did. He could care less if they all thought he was some savage monster.

Afore stepped over Laika. She remained beneath him, between all four legs. He stood tall, hackles raised, eyeing every single dog that was there. They were all very large, very capable, and thick-furred, with the exception of the sly coyote slinking behind them.

The wolf called out to them, blood still dripping from his lips, "Every dog who tries this saluki will meet the face of death here!"

"Let us cut her free," One dog said. He was a huge black and tan dog, perhaps a Tibetan Mastiff, with a lion-like mane.

"You can cut her free," Afore said, "But you try to track her, and you're dead!"

"No need," the mastiff said, rather calmly, "We just want you for your bounty. She has one, too, you know."

"Bounty?" Afore sneered, "What bounty?"

"The Veal Tribe's Baron has listed a mighty bounty on the head of a Black and Tan saluki and her large friend! I never could have guessed it would be a wolf!" The mastiff chuckled. Afore was shocked. How could he laugh at a time like this? Was this not serious to him? He found himself bubbling once again with hot rage and white fury.

Afore's weight shifted as he suddenly felt Laika rise from beneath him, and just as suddenly, he was calm, ears flicking back. Slipping out from underneath him, she stood ahead with height and pride. She was no longer afraid; that much was clear.

Laika spoke out to the dogs of Jall Tribe, "No, don't cut us loose. Don't even approach. We're going farther, away from this place. The Baron wants a bounty on my head? He can come get it himself! I am never going back!"

"Those that follow us will greet death!" Afore howled. A quick glance, and the two turned away slowly, and with great caution, before sprinting down the way. They veered further to the left, trees passing them in blurs, and back to Jall Tribe. Their goal was to pass it and travel farther ahead, away from the local area and where they may find help. Truly, they had no plan; they just knew that this area was not safe anymore.

This road would not be easy nor kind to them.