20 - Cruelty

Through force, Afore and Laika were pushed begrudgingly through the woods and towards a mighty clearing where Castimun Tribe rested. Castimun Tribe was larger than many other tribes, and more advanced in both culture and technology. That is what made them so lethal. And then, walking through the tall wooden gates, Afore feared greatly for his life and Laika's life. His heart seemed to thud right out of his chest. He kept his head and eyes low, his tail down, and his body submissive, careful so as to not illicit any aggressive reactions from the dogs pushing them along.

The sun shone on Castimun Tribe and their tall grass and structured, roomy huts, mostly all made from deer pelts, though some were made from the pelts of other canines. Laika shivered as she walked past them, glancing up at Afore for reassurance. He gave her a weak smile through his muzzle. The leather pinched at his long hair and tugged at the base of his ears uncomfortably, and he shook out his coat to ease it. It didn't help much.

The two were led through a huge a bustling village, meeting sneers and fowl gestures from those passing them by on the well-trodden paths through the yellow grass. There were huts, dens, trading posts, leather working stations, and herbal rooms. In what seemed to be the centre of the large, loud village was a stadium of sorts; there was a large, pale wooded stage surrounded by seating areas for the canines. Afore wondered stupidly if Castimun Tribe had an interest in theatrics or plays, but he quickly considered that this may be where they hung their criminals or slaughtered their trespassers.

The two slipped between several large pelted huts and dens through dense housing areas, and eventually, the homes dispersed and made way to flat, grassy clearings. Through the tall grass, then, the two were led to a very large-sized hut of pale white hides, gleaming brightly beneath the sun's open afternoon rays. It looked like a large pile of snow in bright early day, sitting there and brilliantly white. The only thing off-putting about the snow scene was the tall, yellowed wheat grass and barley that fluttered in the wind like hair all around it, with the exception of a flat dirt trail to the front door flap of the hut.

Along the flat dirt trail Afore and Laika were pulled by their muzzles, feet padding gently against the hard ground. One of the dogs handed the brown Kangal Laika's leash, and only the Kangal entered the den, pulling Laika and Afore behind her at once. Entering the den uneasily, Afore felt a sense of deja vu, remembering the time he had first entered Veal Tribe's Baron's den. That den had been large, damp, and made of rock and stone; this den, in contrast, was soft and made of leather hides and fluffy pelts— some of which were canine.

The hut had several parted rooms, including one round room on the left and one on the right, the ceiling of hides held up by wooden posts and stitched with twine. It was similar to a multi-person tent, but was well-built and made to last for years. The build was quite roomy, and fit all of the canines comfortably. The ground was dirt in the main area, but padded with soft hides in the two rooms, which Afore assumed were sleeping dens. One had a tanned curtain covering the entrance.

"Baron," the red Kangal said. Despite her masculinity, her voice was rather soft and feminine.

From the curtained room appeared The Baron, a magnificent figure with a sleek black coat and tall, pointed ears. He was agile in appearance, like a larger, taller greyhound, with a slender build and long, dainty legs. He had no tail, and Afore assumed that he was a Doberman mix of some sort. If not for him being solid black, Afore could have assumed he was purely bred. Around The Baron's neck was a dangling necklace with gleaming, clear quartz stones. Their jewellery expressed their power and status within the tribe. He was mean-looking, dark eyes narrowed and with a long, powerful snout.

"The wolf," he said, rather pleased.

"Yes," The Kangal returned, smiling proudly, "We captured them this morning. Hell of a fight. He would do anything to protect his female." Laika glanced sideways at Afore, the whites of her eyes showing, but he remained with his jaws clenched in his mask; the only sign of disturbance was his large ears flicking backwards and pinning against the top of his head.

"Oh, how fun," The Baron hissed, allowing a smirk to creep on his dark face. His fangs glistened beneath his ebony lips, face curled up in that twisted smile. "We will make such fun with these two. They're Castimun's greatest advantage at the moment. We could strike a mighty bargain with Veal Tribe for both of these. Perhaps a dozen new females, ripe for pups?"

The Kangal nodded, "Certainly, sir. We can always use the numbers."

Laika fumed, and only Afore sensed it at that moment. Her short fur bristled, eyes grew wide and white around the edges, wet showing beneath them with a gleam. Her lips gently peeled backwards in a small snarl, fangs shining. Heat rose from her skin.

"And Veal Tribe would give up anything to have their precious commodities back," The Baron chuckled.

Laika broke, finally snapping, "Don't talk about us that way! We're canines, too!"

The glare and thick silence that she was met with sent shivers up Afore's spine, and he quickly knew that this Baron would do anything to get what he wanted. He sensed no kindness in his dark heart.

"You are canines," The Baron said slowly, taking an elegant step near her. "And fine looking ones, at that." Another step, and then he was beside her, eyeing her up and down. "I quite like the look of you, Saluki. You're a floppy-eared and long-coated version of me. I wonder what offspring you would produce, if born by me?"

She gasped, as if shocked by his rudeness and vulgarity, "Do not!"

"I do whatever I please. This is my tribe, after all. I am Castimun. And the wolf's pups will only make us stronger." Laika hated how calm and collected The Baron was. She hated the soft smoothness of his voice, the coldness in every calculated, amused step. She hated him, and her entire body trembled with it.

Her voice quaked as she spoke, "You'll regret this."

"I highly doubt that," he chuckled. "I'm going to enjoy what happens next very much."

Afore didn't want to cause conflict; but he felt the need to defend Laika, and so he stepped forward and mocked, "I highly doubt that. You'll regret the day you ever heard of us."

The Baron only smiled, that same, cold smile.

"I like that mouth on you, wolf," he said at last. "You'll put it to good use here."

Afore scowled, angry then, and helpless. If he could not be taken seriously, then there was absolutely nothing he could say to get out of the situation. Again, he was heartily afraid.

The Baron spoke again, "Tonight, then."

The Kangal, "Tonight."

With that, the Kangal led Afore and Laika from the hut by their muzzles and outside. They walked to the backside of The Baron's hut, where the two were tied to a tall post, the tall grass waving around them.

There was no getting out of this now. They had only left to endure until they could escape.