Bad Luck

Ch. 2

Nico's POV

"Sorry Ashton" Ms. Smith said chuckling a bit.

"No worries," he said, putting on a smile.

"Sit anywhere you want dear," she said.

He nodded and went to the desk behind Daisy and me. I sighed knowing he'll try to do something. As Ms. Smith was going over the directions, class rules, and other basic stuff Ashton decided to kick the back of my chair. I fell off with a thump and heard some people snickering.

"Are you okay?" Ms. Smith asked worriedly.

I nodded and tried to ignore him. Daisy saw and told him to stop and flipped him off. After Ms. Smith finished talking about her stuff she went to take the role.

"Trey?"

"Here"

"Jasmine?"

"Here"

"Nico?"

"Here" I said, behind me I heard Ashton whisper loner.

I sighed trying to ignore him, Daisy heard him and told him to fuck off.

"Thanks Daisy," I said with a small smile.

"Anytime" she said and continued reading her book.

The bell rang and I went to my second period. Before I could reach the door Daisy stopped me and asked if we could be friends. Of course, I said yes and gave her my number. I bided her a goodbye and went to my second period. The rest of the periods until lunch were the same. I had three out of four classes before lunch with Ashton, the only class I didn't have with him was AP math. As the bell rang, I went out to lunch I met Daisy, and she asked why Ashton was being rude to me.

"He has always been mean to me because of my sexuality and personal problems" I say, not looking up from my sketchbook.

"It's okay Ashton has always been a jerk. I've known him since middle school and he has not changed one bit," she said reassuring me.

I nodded not knowing what to say.

"Do you not have a snack? I haven't seen you eat all day" she said, which was true as the only thing I had this whole day was hot chocolate and a small granola bar.

I shook my head.

"Well here" she said, pulling out a granola bar and some chocolate.

"Thank you" I said with a small smile. I wasn't really used to someone being kind to me as I've always been the main target for bullying.

"Mhm" she said and continued to walk with me. We talked about school, our interests (turns out we have pretty similar interests), and other stuff. We mostly talked about random things. As we continued walking, I accidentally bumped into Ashton.

"Watch it," he said, shoving me a little.

"Sorry" I said not looking up at him and picked up my book.

"Leave him be Ashton it was just an accident" Daisy said with a scowl on her face.

"Shut up Daisy no one cares what you say" Chloe, Ashton's girlfriend, said.

"Let's just go Daisy" I said brining her away.

"Ugh! I hate them! They think about everything because they're popular" she said, looking pissed.

"It's okay", I said, not really knowing how to help.

"Whatever let's go to the library. I found this book, but I need your opinion on it." she said, tugging me along.

I nodded and followed her to the library.

"So, what do you think about this book?" she asked, pulling out classical literature.

I nodded and said it sounded good.

"Great! Let me go check out and we can head out" she said walking to the librarian.

While waiting for her I saw a poster saying there will be an art club coming soon. Of course, I love to draw so I took a picture of it to check it out later.

"Nico, I'm ready, let's go!!" she said, running towards me.

"Be quiet!!" the librarian yelled looking at both of us.

I gave her an apologetic look before hurrying off with Daisy. Daisy was talking about how she's been wanting to read more, but she hasn't had enough time due to her leadership club.

"Hey Daisy!" I heard some guy yell.

"Oh, that's my friend, come on Nico!" she said bringing me over.

"Hey Luke, she said. "

"This is my friend Nico," she said, gesturing to me.

I waved and gave a small smile. Luke was pretty tall and looked like he worked out. 

"Sup man" he said.

We spent the rest of the lunch talking with Luke. As the bell rang Daisy walked me to my fifth period, world history. Daisy said she had AP world history and it sucked really bad.

"So, Daisy, how'd you meet Luke?" I asked.

"Oh, he's in my leadership club, but we did go to the same middle school. We just didn't talk much." she said.

I nodded and waved her goodbye before entering my fifth period. I must have had the worst luck ever because in the back I spotted Ashton and his friends. Thankfully he was turned away from the door so he didn't see me, but his friends did and pointed to me. I sat at the opposite side of him hoping he would leave me alone today.

"Alright class, welcome to world history!" the teacher, Mr. Holland, said.

Like every other class he went over the basics and rules. One thing that did stand out to me was how in the middle and end of the school year there will be a trip to visit either Japan, Greece, France, etc. that sounded really fun to me, so I'd probably go.

"Okay before we continue, I will be assigning your yearlong partner. This means that you will sit next to them for the entire year, work on projects with them, etc. One case I will let you work with someone else is if your partner is out for a long period of time when you have a project. There will be no changing your partners until it is the middle of the school year AND if you have a good reason to. Are we clear?" he said making sure everyone heard him.

Everyone nodded in unison.

"Great! Now let me assign your partners, but don't move to them until I am finished calling out the names."

"Sam Hudson and Nicole Harper"

"Tyson Smith and Clarisse Mintz"

"Percy Jackson and Annabeth Chase"

"Ashton Rogue and..." please don't be my name, I prayed.

"Nico Remy"

(1054 words)